What do you keep in your car?

Currently reading:
What do you keep in your car?

Don't have my Panda Cross yet, but in my previous "hobby" car (Nissan Terrano2) I kept
- extended first aid set (for people and dogs) incl emergency blanket
- 2 hi-viz jackets
- rain jacket
- set of clean and dry clothes inc socks and underwear, towel
- spare dog leash
- toolbox including knife, axe, small wood saw, machete, shovel, work gloves
- spare parts (light bulbs, tie wraps, duct tape, anti-roll bar suspension bushes, various nuts/bolts)
- spare wheel
- starter cable set
- 2t rated towing rope (for cars), 8t rated towing strap (for the Terrano), 8t shackle
- head mounted torch
- 2 sand ladders to get out of mud when out of reach of recovery by farmer :)

In shooting season also shooting parafernalia: extra knife, rubber gloves, bone saw, plastic sheet, little sand bag (gun rest), shooting sticks. On shoot days, gun and ammo, water for the dogs.

Seems like a lot, but most of fitted under / behind the front seats. Had no back seats, instead had a cupboard with drawers installed with separate (lockable) drawer for gun and ammo.

Most of it will fit in the Panda, except I will not need the sand ladders, towing strap, shovel. Axe etc only when I expect I'll need them.

spare wheel, jack and standard car tools - Duct tape (never enough), collapsing wheel chocks - Power bar with 17, 19 &21 mm sockets - small box with spare screenwash, antifreeze ready mixed, small bottle brake fluid, Manista hand cleaner, paper towel, cable ties and wire, multitool, multi screwdriver, Mole grips, footprint wrench, Universal spanner (probably will never work), side cutters, hammer, box cutter, spare bulb set, fuses, leangth of electrical wire, cheap tarp for lying on, old "fake" Barbour jacket, first aid basic kit (used to be the first aider at work), multimeter - but don't really know how that's going to help? 12v lead lamp with nice bright 21 watt bulb. - Even more tools if going long distance but, in the event, almost never have the tool I need! sometimes a spare gallon of fuel, if I haven't left it in the shed for the mower. (Just to be sure that any accident is one to remember!)

As well as the usual stuff like CD's, leather wrapped sponge for clearing windows, ice scraper/condensation clearing blade, pack of fuses, basic tool kit, spare, jack etc I always have a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, rescue hammer, rope, bungees, hi-viz vest/jacket and torch.

Also if I am driving to work at least five liters of water as I do not trust what comes out of the taps in Wisbech.

Last edited:
Again, out of curiosity where do you keep their locking wheel key and spare bolts?
Locking wheel nut bolt lives in the boot, in small plastic container with identifying sticker, beside the wheel changing equipment. Same on all family vehicles, except No 2 son who keeps his in the glove box (Don't ask, he's always got to be different!)

Owners Manual, the one which comes with the car, also in the glove box. Workshop (Haynes type things) live in my workshop except when on holiday when I take it with me so I can see exactly why I can't repair whatever went wrong at the road side!

Back