What do you guys think about this?

Currently reading:
What do you guys think about this?

I know its not fiat related but nevermind...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32094&item=7901798488&rd=1

Its a new thing called Eram. Ive read about it in a magazine somewhere a while ago about how it was being developed. Seems quite expencive but its the same price as nos and alot cheaper than a turbo conversion etc.

From what i have read it forces a constant presure of 1 bar of air into the inlet when the Eram is turned on, acting kind of like a turbo.

I dunno if im right heh

So what u think?

I Have A Cinq Sporting...

...Click Here To Look At It

My opinion:

Firstly I will say I haven't actually researched this but it immediately makes alarm bells ring; sending extra air won't give 20BHP to you surely? Sounds suspect immediately.

I went onto the eram website and they claim increases of 4-6%, assuming the Sei sporting has 60BHP (sure you will correct me!), at 4%, you will get an extra 2.4HP up to 3.6HP if you get their maximum power increase:

Q5: How much HP gain can I expect?
A5: Gains on standard4 cylinder to heavily modified 8 cylinder engines have yielded 4-6% increases. That's 5-15HP depending on your base flywheel HP. If you are removing a standardairbox, gains for cool air tubes and cone filters are up to 5HP. The eRAM with its 5-15 HP just adds to those gains giving over 20 HP of total gain for the eRAM system.

The unit uses 50amps whilst on, i.e.50x12 watts, i.e. 600 watts which is nearly 1HP! Thus if you get a power increase of 3BHP, you will only get to use 2 because the alternator will be stealing the rest of it! So £150 per HP? Up to you!??!

You know I don't know much about performance mods bushboy but I feel you would also be suspicious with how putting extra air can lead to such large increases as quoted on the auction!

Just my thoughts.

Paul

----------
Uno 1.0ie Start. Standard.
Uno_sign.jpg

Good, I have a feeling it will do so little! I don't doubt it will bring a small power increase but so does a K&N; i can't see how massive amounts of air can lead to much more power? I am sure you will get better replies later :)

----------
Uno_sign.jpg

looks rather suspect yeah, but paul you do understand that a turbo/supercharger is just a fan, forced induction = more power.. so its quite easy to get more power from forcing more air in

Cinq Sporting - and yes, its broom yellow!

I am such a "dumbass" on engines! I really misunderstood how the two worked, just read up on it and feel stupid for thinking what I did, I had never been told, just thought up how myself :S!

So, now I know how they work, why won't this work if it does the same? Is it a much lower pressure?

Cheers arc for making me look into it, I would have looked a bit stupid if I said what I thought!

Cheers custard, I am sure I just read on the auction/eram website (can't remember which) This is street legal UNLIKE NOS and I was surprised, I thought NOS was street legal.

----------
Uno_sign.jpg

No worries, i wasnt trying to make you look daft or anything.

How well it would work depends on how much extra power it gives. It might help slightly, but it draws quite a bit of current, cancelling out any benefit. But without further testing/proof etc.. its hard to say.

You could connect it via an intercooler tho.. that may help things more, I don't know.. interesting

Cinq Sporting - and yes, its broom yellow!

Thats 0.0666667BAR boost then. A Turbot goves 0.3BAR so thats Fooq all really.

Tom (AofB)

95 Cinq Sporting - Rattly GrpN Catback Exhaust, <font color="black">Buckets</font id="black"> and 3pt Harnesses, 10" Sub and 6x9's.
1242cc Engine to go in soon, boot delock soon, ETech Wing still in garage, so's the effing K+N!

that Eram would be useless on a cinq/sei, as i recall pete saying that the MAP sensor cannot handle positive boost which is why the turbo conversions have an extra mappable fuel injector. Eram... Waste of money mate

sig.jpg

After reading the above i have decided that any product that will lighten the wallets of many idiot chavs up and down the country is a good'un.

GeX
"Women are hurt by the smallest things, like papercuts and... childbirth!"

It could theoretically work, but it's by far too puny to actually do anything useful!
It uses 791 Watts of power (thats 57 Amps, about the limit of a normal alternators output) to give a poxy 1psi...so you'll be lucky to get a 1% power gain for all the battery-draining and alternator-knackering that this piece of cack will do.

Oh, and on the same page they quote both 746 watts and 791 watts. Which is it, you devious scheming theiving f***ers??? [:(!]
This is apparently the eram thingy in "action": http://www.electricsupercharger.com/eramvideo.mpg
Action? My arse. It's not even fitted to a car, no dyno readouts or anything. Just some idiot messing about with a crappy fan.
It's an overgrown hairdryer best suited to giving pikeys something to brag about down the pub. [:p]

AVOID!

<font color="navy">Punto 55SX</font id="navy">

JB2.jpg

Don't get much past u lads;)

This is undoubtedly a waste of money, really its more like a supercharger than a turbo, drawing on electric though rather than being driven mechanically.

Paul, don't put yourself down, you spotted the key point here; this thing takes back part of its gain, making the gain left over very small.

I personally think a remap would be a better option, a 'true' gain, plus it won't break, which this will!

I also think you might as well get one of those pumps powered of your 12v, then attach that to your airbox[:eek:)]

Stilo TURBO!!!!(diesel)

Agreed, this sounds like a rite piece of tat, but aside, forcing additional air into the intake is unlikely to do much (ignoring the loud sucking sound of power being taken from your electrical system) unless it's under pressure, which is mentioned er... no where.

To recap, it's not the air, it's the air pressure. Right?

Back