What do you do.

Currently reading:
What do you do.

FDF

Marea Scrappaged :(
What would you do if you found a young kid in the street crying? You're a man over 35, do you stop and risk people getting the wrong idea or walk on? With all the newspaper stories about perverts and child molesters stopping could be a risky thing to do. But not stopping makes you feel really bad.

What would you do if you found a young kid in the street crying? You're a man over 35, do you stop and risk people getting the wrong idea or walk on? With all the newspaper stories about perverts and child molesters stopping could be a risky thing to do. But not stopping makes you feel really bad.

My mum had something similar happen, two girls crashed into each other on their bikes, a man pulled over to make sure they where OK, but of course him being male, and two girls, could be trouble, my mum was walking past on the other side of the road, so went over to help, and the man went as soon as he could lol.

I'm not sure what I would do, it is difficult on what to do, if one of my sisters hurt themselfs, I would hope that someone would help them, but I can understand why men might not want to.

I was watching something on TV a few days ago, and they set up so this little girl (6-8 I think) looked lost in a busy shopping centre, it was amazing how many people walked pass her before someone came upto them.

I'm always a bit careful at work as well, I've only had a kid come upto me because they lost their parents, but you never know how parents are going to act, luckly their parents where thankful and nice lol.

To be honest if I was a man which i'm not I would shout to someone else for instance after asking the child whats what. If no answer then would shout for help.

"Hello, I think she's lost"

or something along them lines that way it grabs other people's attention. Someone else is likely to come over and it doesn't look like your a perv or something.

i was walking on a path grr
a kid was getting bullied then the ****s legged it throwing his bike in a bush
knowing that i could reach it without any fuss to me
i gave the kid it putting his chain back on and straightening his handle bars
didn't really think should i shouldn't i

but one thing i cant despise and run from is
i cant stand baby screams when i cant get away from em
just the ear drum noise alone caused id rather be using a grinder

It is a problem that everyone assumes the worst when i was young i remember one kid down the lane crashing into our garage door (who was about a year younger than me.....) whilst i was annoying my oldman in the garage..

He went out untangled him from his bike picked him up next thing he runs off home shortly followed by his dad coming out and shouting and balling about my old man was "touching him" :rolleyes: Followed by comments such as "you wouldn't want me to touch your daughter" (my sister whos 4 years younger)

anyhow after he had run out of puff my dad said words along the line of "fine next time i see him hurt i'll leave him"

6 months or so later kids brother crashes his bike into a wall opposite and is laid sparko on the ground...

dad just stood their whilst his brother went to get his mum/ dad.

my dad made it very clear he was their and pressed the point he hadn't left the garden to go help as he didn't want to be accused by him again....

seemed to hit a raw nerve :rolleyes:

and what would I do it depends on the situation but i have made very uncomfortable in the local park when we had some relatives over from OZ and they had their young son so i took him to the park to let him have a go on the swings took my camera and got more than one dirty look even when his mum and dad and our family came to join me once they'd eaten...

Last edited:
We had an incidence a bit like this a while back.

beth had fallen off her bike and was lying face down on the pavement. A male neighbour (who she didnt know) heard her crying, he went up to her and asked if she was ok and picked up her bike .... left her to bleed on the pavement lol

she had her friend with her, which was lucky, who came to tell me what had happened. the neighbour had stood with her bike and waited for me.

dunno what would have happened if she'd have been out alone, or further from our house.

we had a laugh at the fact he'd left her on the pavement and picked up her bike.

must be a hard thing to know what to do for the best!

Unless you're wearing a uniform (Police / Paramedic etc) or you know the kid and his / her family the first thing you think about, once you know the kid is not seriously hurt, is how to protect yourself. I hate that the media and society force men to be like that, but when you see what happens to people who are accused unfairly the decision is really made for you.

What would I do? First thing would be to look around and see if anyone of authority was in the vicinity, if so I would inform them. If not, I would do what EmmaM88 suggested and call out to passers by asking "Does anyone know who's looking after the little girl/ boy? She/ he looks lost." If no joy from that I would probably ring 999 and inform the Police that there appeared to be a lost child on the street. That way the call would be logged and traceable back to me, plus details of me reporting the exact situation would be recorded. Only then would I approach the child and directly ask if they were ok.

Last edited:
If no joy from that I would probably ring 999 and inform the Police that there appeared to be a lost child on the street. That way the call would be logged and traceable back to me, plus details of me reporting the exact situation would be recorded. Only then would I approach the child and directly ask if they were ok.

then again in the case of a kid falling off their bike and grazing their knee i can see the police controller telling you to hang up and stop wasting their time.....

then again with parents like this

http://singletraction.frankencrank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2293

from the second paragraph of the first post

perhaps some kids need saving from the parents :mad:

(put it like this i go mountain biking quite a bit and there is no way i'd attempt the table tops ((well did try once and nearly ate mud)))

What would I do? First thing would be to look around and see if anyone of authority was in the vicinity, if so I would inform them. If not, I would do what EmmaM88 suggested and call out to passers by asking "Does anyone know who's looking after the little girl/ boy? She/ he looks lost." If no joy from that I would probably ring 999 and inform the Police that there appeared to be a lost child on the street. That way the call would be logged and traceable back to me, plus details of me reporting the exact situation would be recorded. Only then would I approach the child and directly ask if they were ok.
The problem with this is that you are well intentioned, but the pedo that overhears you isn't.I agree that ringing 999 propmtly is prolly good insurance. On several occasions Mrs R and I have rescued lost children, (and on 2 occasions dogs, they are easier they have a phone number on their collars:)). It's never happened to me when on my own but I would save the child and take my chances on the fallout, I don't see how you could live with yourself if you didn't. There was a case a few years back of a boy of about 2 who got out of a garden where he was at playgroup and drowned in a pond next door. A man did see him, realised he was lost and walked by for exactly this reason. He did come forward and give evidence at the inquest and I recall the Coroner was sympathetic to his motives.

its so awkward.

in my street all the kids come and talk to me when i'm outside having a smoke or playing with the cars or working in the garden. i cant help it if kids are nosey and want to chat, but i'm very conscious of people looking out their windows twitching their curtains assuming that i'm some kind of pedo trying to lure the kiddies into my shed.

they're right to be like that. you never know what someone is capable of, least of all your neighbours. your own brother could be a child molester and you would never know. if i had kids i would suspect everyone and trust no one, even friends and family.

take them to nearest shop - i seen a thing on telly telling kids about which adults to trust

we get lost kids all the time in work, i keep my distance and never touch them for fear of what people think, then i usher them to customer services

Back