General What do i need to lower?

Currently reading:
General What do i need to lower?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
As far as I'm aware that's all you need and tools to fit the kit, hope you got spring compressors! :devil:

But that should go without saying, when working with suspension... ;)

Look forward to seeing the results!

Ben

I spoke to another mate just now, he reckons lowering my car 50mm all round, seeing how it drives, then if i want to do any more get the shortened drop links etc and fit them, as for spring compressors my mate has something along those lines as we were trying to lower my mates Fabia yesterday & were using something to compress the old springs! so should have all the right tools lol! thanks anyway! Arran

Hi mate,
You won't need shortened drop links as the punto doesn't have them as such.

Only bump stops that MAY cause you a problem is the rears. You can easily cut then down a bit if needs be though.

Alan

Woops forgot about this thread... :L iv got it lowered now, no bump stops in the rear, got adjusters instead, Copper slip grease on the adjuster threads! and it all works fine! might drop the car a bit more anyway! :) thanks for the advice though !:D

no bump stops in the rear, got adjusters instead,

I don't get this bit. You really need bump stops of some description or you will have a big accident.

At some point either the springs will become coil bound or the shock will simply bottom out and go rigid.

At this point the suspension will go from compliant to absolutely rigid and if it happens on a bend you will loose control. The bump stop makes the transition much less immediate so, with a stop the right size, you have a chance of retaining control.

You should also test the new suspension on full droop: it's not unknown for springs to either drop out or partially skip their retainers.

Mate you don't need bump stops at all don't worry I took mine out and it's fine

At some point either the springs will become coil bound or the shock will simply bottom out and go rigid.

At this point the suspension will go from compliant to absolutely rigid and if it happens on a bend you will loose control. The bump stop makes the transition much less immediate so, with a stop the right size, you have a chance of retaining control.

You should also test the new suspension on full droop: it's not unknown for springs to either drop out or partially skip their retainers.

Can't really put it any better than that. VOSA will impound your car if they inspect it, PPC's Mark Hammersley recently crashed a borrowed Porsche twice before discovering that the bump stops were just too long (and he's a capable national level racer): sooner or later, the back end will simply come round on you -- the effect is a little like full braking on one wheel.

Remember, suspension compliance is the only thing that keeps the tyre in contact with the road. If the tyre isn't in proper contact with the road you have no control.

Having no bump stops is not a MOT failure, however having bump stops without enough clearance from the frame/chassis IS.

I would argue that too long bump stops will cause you more problems than none at all, HOWEVER..

As fingers says, bump stops are there for a reason, If you want to lower your car PROPERLY, and SAFELY you should have suitable bump stops fitted.

Alan

It is correct having no bump stop is not a MOT fail, yet it is an advisory item as I had a bump stop missing on my last MOT which I sorted within a week of passing MOT.

But I wouldn't continue to drive for month on end without bump stops, they are there for a reason for your own safety, you wouldn't drive round with no driver airbag would you? Unless you like living your life on the edge of your seat of course.... :rolleyes:

Back