Technical what do i have to change?

Currently reading:
Technical what do i have to change?

fordy

Established member
hi again,
i have bought the 1242 yesterday, but before i start the conversion i need to know what i need to change over and if its a hard job to do the cam for a punto 75 item, so can someone please give me all the details on what i need to change over so the engine drops in and runs.

cheers
bet your all sick of me lol

oo just read link seen petes edit:) edit: I have it on good authority from TBSei that you can fit the Punto 75 engine, head and intake manifold to a SPI cento and use the SPI throttle body. Obviously the 75's injectors would need to be left in place but not wired / piped in to avoid leaving large open holes everywhere!

ive got a good 75 engine forsale :D

so with the cam, its bucket and shim job, iirc they are a **** to get right, any ideas where i can get the tappet settings from as well?

is tricker still on here as well, need a tb off him, having the car setup at mikeanics in congleton with all the mods on

is mckrich about still as well, i wanna chip

should be quick

40mm tb
75 cam
custom zorst
custom intake
mckrich chip also

what ya thinking - about 80 bhp?
60 as std,
10% off tb, 10% from chip, 10% from cam
10% zorst & filter system

24bhp in total when setup.

seems achievable

fordy said:
should be quick

40mm tb
75 cam
custom zorst
custom intake
mckrich chip also

60 as std,

seems achievable

In an ideal world it should be achievable - I would be more interested in the tourque (sp?) improvement than bhp, no point having a car capable of 125mph if it takes all day to get there! :)

fordy said:
so with the cam, its bucket and shim job, iirc they are a **** to get right, any ideas where i can get the tappet settings from as well?
no its a pice of ****, mrs dave cleared up my books so cant give clearences yet, but they are in punto section some where, you just measure all the gaps, right them down in a row, right down what they should be next to them, , take cam off take each shim out look a size write it down, do a little sum to work out what size shim you need, most will be swopable, the ones you havent got either take fater ones to engineer with a shim grinder, or buy new ones, fit them back replace cam job done :)

fordy said:

is tricker still on here as well, need a tb off him, having the car setup at mikeanics in congleton with all the mods on

is mckrich about still as well, i wanna chip

should be quick

40mm tb
75 cam
custom zorst
custom intake
mckrich chip also

60 as std,

seems achievable

Hi Fordy

It's always difficult to say how much power you can achieve with putting on: 40mm TB, Cam, exhaust, chip and so on.
The cam from the 75 engine will not give you the power you dream of... The different between punto 60 and 75 cam is nothing to talk about - if there are any different at all... :confused:

After my own 1242 spi was fitted few years ago I had it re-mapped on rolling road to round 75 hp.

Engine setup was:

40mm TB
ported head
268 degree Cam from Colombo & Bariani (fast road 1)
Supersprint exhaust manifold.
Flywheel lightened 2kg.
Compression was 17 psi.
Chip: SMT6 piggyback from Perfect Power.

One of my club members has made 80.2 HP on the 1.1 spi with same engine setup. Damn that engine sounds good :)

Back to your engine...

If you get all the things done and skip the punto 75 cam and buy a 280 (fast road 2) degree Colombo & Bariani cam instead you would see 115Nm/85HP easily if engine internal is all right and balanced.
You will also have to do something about your induction kit if you don't have an open filter...?
The GSR induction kit will not be any good here.... ! :nono:

My advice to you: Do not buy a programmed chip for your car. Get one made for your engine. Different can be up to 10-15 HP power gain (y)
Price will be different, I know, but it WILL be worth it I promise you ;)

Oldschool said:
:)

The GSR induction kit will not be any good here.... ! :nono:

Where did you get that idea from? Wrong!

Its to do with the size of the inlet on the plenum.

Its come up before. The BMC cone on the GSR F1i has a 54mm diameter neck and the Fiat 899cc plenum has a diameter less than that.

I forget the actual words used, but something to do with matching the plenum size to the filter size helps things along...

arseofbox said:
Its to do with the size of the inlet on the plenum.

Its come up before. The BMC cone on the GSR F1i has a 54mm diameter neck and the Fiat 899cc plenum has a diameter less than that.

I forget the actual words used, but something to do with matching the plenum size to the filter size helps things along...

Funny, but the rolling road thought differently in several cases!

I don't know who told you this but my understanding of physics and the work in racing and tuning results in findings that can't be interpreted this way and I can say I was successful with my work so far.

Oldschool said:
Funny, but the rolling road thought differently in several cases!

I don't know who told you this but my understanding of physics and the work in racing and tuning results in findings that can't be interpreted this way and I can say I was successful with my work so far.

OK, I can believe that.

Have you got dyno plots to confirm this?

Back