General What can i take out of the car thats unnecasary?

Currently reading:
General What can i take out of the car thats unnecasary?

I have flooring in the rear of mine, good luck to them finding out if i have a spare or not! ;)

makes it rather pointless me carrying the wheelbrace around then ;) i see more weight savings to be had on mine!!

Powerlite calipers, will be making my own brackets as soon as the rotors land.

I had a go in a mark 1 golf gti this week with powerlites up front. The result is that I've decided these are the brakes for my track cinq.

How far down the bracket route are you in terms of design? I was going to do some head scratching and fiddling about with bracket design next week when the calipers arrive. But if you've got a design, are you interested in doing a group buy on them? Maybe help to offset the cost of your own ones?

cheers
Jason

Im doing them myself bud, so theres no real cost, got plenty of ally and a milling machine.

What size discs will you be running?? 240? 257? mine are 279.4:p so unless you splash the cash on some fancy rotors your mounts will be different to mine

Im doing them myself bud, so theres no real cost, got plenty of ally and a milling machine.

What size discs will you be running?? 240? 257? mine are 279.4:p so unless you splash the cash on some fancy rotors your mounts will be different to mine

Nice one! I'd kill for a decently equipped workshop.

I want to be able to run 13"s because I've got access to a bunch of 13" slicks. From what I've read and from the (admittedly amateurish) maths I've done, powerlites with 257mm will juuuust fit in 13"s.

I assume you're running 14"s or bigger with 279.4 rotors? And damn dude, powerlites and pizza pan rotors. That'll stand on its nose when you hit the middle pedal hard :D

I want to be able to run 13"s because I've got access to a bunch of 13" slicks. From what I've read and from the (admittedly amateurish) maths I've done, powerlites with 257mm will juuuust fit in 13"s.

You will only be able to go to 240mm in most fiat front wheel drive wheels (the brake sites tend to quote for rwd ford wheels):( If you are going for vented discs then there is also potential width problems.

Well 240mm vented discs and powerlite calipers fit for sure. ive done it.
In theory, the 257mm discs should fit under there aswell, think it was Gobe that did a few calculations.

Cannot see how vented discs would give you width proplems

take a hole saw to the doors & other sealed double skin areas.

Not sure if I'd want to weaken the doors at all, have you ever opened the door on a Cinq when it's raised on the front jacking point... :)

Are the back glass ina Sei flat or curved slightly? if flat you can replace with 5/6mm perspex. should shave a lot of weight. Same with any windows really.. would mean no heated rear screen if you do the whole lot.

Aren't plastic car windows made of polycarbonate, or can you use either? The windscreen on my Cinq is curved so I'm guessing Sei ones are too, though maybe it would be best left as standard for safety as its laminated?

Carbon fibre hatch and bonnet?

As long as you paint it, CF on a Cento would look a bit daft imo :p

Also wouldn't CF wings be easier to start with? Seen as they (seem to) bolt on, whereas the boot and bonnet need the hinges and catches attached to them.

What about aluminium wishbones and trailing arms?

I suppose the extreme end of things would be replacing the roof skin with CF, or chopping out the floor from the B pillar back and riveting & sealing in aluminium/CF/other.

A roof chop would lower the weight and centre of gravity a bit, but also make the car suitable only for Ronnie Corbett :D

Not sure if I'd want to weaken the doors at all, have you ever opened the door on a Cinq when it's raised on the front jacking point... :)

Thats nothing to do with the doors and how strong they are, its the shell flexing, needs a decent cage with good door bars to sort that problem out, my cinq with the OMP cage has no door bars and it still flexes

Thats nothing to do with the doors and how strong they are, its the shell flexing, needs a decent cage with good door bars to sort that problem out, my cinq with the OMP cage has no door bars and it still flexes

I know, it's when opening the door, it feels slightly off when the jacking point under the A pillar is being used, as if the door had been bracing the opening a bit.

Back