General What are you doing to your panda this weekend??

Currently reading:
General What are you doing to your panda this weekend??

I just bought a Panda which already had a stubby metal aerial and it was hopeless - would only pick up Classic FM and other very strong national stations. A new proper Fiat job from Shop4Parts and I now have full reception again, everywhere. Like most things in life, cars are full of compromises! Each to their own though of course.

BTW, the new Panda aerial which cost £8 from S4P is IDENTICAL to the new one I had previously bought for the Audi, yet it cost £43. Talk about pricing goods and services for the intended audience......

Phil G

My reception wasnt affected with the smaller aerial. It only cost me £10 from fleabay but I retained the original just in case.

It's funny how each car 'scene' demands a different look. Having owned several Japanese imports, owners of UKDM cars are desperate to get the JDM 'look', including fitting amber indicators in place of the original clear ones.

Personally, I never think twice about my orange bulbs but given that I have gold stripes and red mirror caps, I don't view life through monochrome lenses ;)

Well, it's Friday again tomorrow, which is where the weekend begins.
I love my Panda Cross but after nearly 37 years of driving I hate being out in the car unless there's a good thick coating of snow and nobody else on the road.
So, this weekend I'm leaving my Panda in the driveway so that I can cycle everywhere that I need to go to!

Sorry but I like the blue tinted ones about as much as I like the original fried egg orange. I fitted silver front indicator and side repeater bulbs the same week I took delivery of the car from Fiat. I just couldnt stand how terrible the car looked with those horrible orange bulbs. It might be vain but the silver bulbs transformed the Pandas large front headlights massively.

SparklesF.jpg
Firstly id just like to say that ive toyed with changing the front indicaters and side repeater bulbs. Has to be said this pic has swayed me big time.
I'll be ordering them from my work 2mora.

The car looks sweet by the way. ....And those mirrors? Are they some sort of facelift for latter pandas or are they from another fiat? If so easy to change???

Firstly id just like to say that ive toyed with changing the front indicaters and side repeater bulbs. Has to be said this pic has swayed me big time.
I'll be ordering them from my work 2mora.

The car looks sweet by the way. ....And those mirrors? Are they some sort of facelift for latter pandas or are they from another fiat? If so easy to change???

Those are late spec OE Panda mirrors that I like to call dumbo mirrors. The silver covers on them are part of the Pandemonium kit option. The earlier mirrors do look better but I have gotten used to the later style mirrors now and wouldnt change them.

Those are late spec OE Panda mirrors that I like to call dumbo mirrors. The silver covers on them are part of the Pandemonium kit option. The earlier mirrors do look better but I have gotten used to the later style mirrors now and wouldnt change them.

A good set of mirrors is invaluable. I was amazed at how small the mirrors were on the 100hp we drove and it was a 10 plate one with the smaller mirrors. The mirrors on the 500 are hardly gigantic, but they're just perfect (y)

Gave my Active a good clean over the weekend inside and out. It looks new again :)

Noticed my wheel trims are already well and truly scruffed, I am always parking on different roads and I still haven;t got the hang of parking :mad: How much do original Panda trims cost?

Also put some oil in, its now used 800ml in the first 2630 miles, does that sound about right?

Had a good look at the Fiesta too and the rust on the arch is now so bad I don't think there is anything we can do but scrap it come MOT time.

Noticed my wheel trims are already well and truly scruffed, I am always parking on different roads and I still haven;t got the hang of parking :mad:

Because they're held on in the centre by the wheel nuts, rather than being secured at the rim by clips, the edges of the trims on the Panda tend to protrude out from the wheel. This makes it one of the easiest cars to scuff, so be kind to yourself. Parallel parking is the usual culprit - if you are in any doubt, adjust the wing mirror so you can see the rear wheel & the kerb. Be careful not to turn the steering wheel when very close; that's an easy way to drive the front trim into the kerb, especially when you are pulling away. Judging the manoevure so that you approach the kerb on full lock is the safest way as the outside edge of the tyre will then always contact first. Personally I have the most difficulty when the kerb is set at a curve.

Also put some oil in, its now used 800ml in the first 2630 miles, does that sound about right?

For some reason, the 1.1 engine seems to attract many more posts about oil consumption than the 1.2. Your figures seem to me a little high by modern car standards (every car I've owned since 1980 would run between service intervals without needing a topup) but are within limits and may improve once you have done a few more miles. By way of comparison, though, the 1.2 Panda I bought last October has now covered just under 5000 miles and has not as yet used any appreciably measurable quantity of oil.

Personally I dont care what people think and I also admit to being OCD. I just dont see the point in having really nice crystal clear lenses (and big ones on the Panda) and then having a horrible orange blob on them. Its a bit like looking at a picture of Scarlett Johansson with a big yellow zit on her face. Changing the bulbs was the very first thing I did. Then I changed the crap original wipers for better performing flat bladed ones and swapped that stupidly long radio aerial for a stubby metal one.

The thing is, it IS the .001% of people that notice that I do take as a compliment. For me it is one of the first mods I do to over car I own, I HATE the fried egg look (unless you have an orange car). It isn't about being "a bulb connoisseur", more someone that likes a cleaner look.

I was trying not to order mods before it arrived, but I can see me fitting the silver bulbs pretty pronto tbh. How hard are they to fit? If I don't have to take off the front bumper then it's easier than the RX-8 was...

A

Noticed my wheel trims are already well and truly scruffed, I am always parking on different roads and I still haven;t got the hang of parking...

[Without wishing to sound patronising] try using a 'reference point' to help with your parking. For example, park accurately and then look to see where the kerb disappears into the base of the windscreen - it will line up with a particular part of the wiper blade. Next time you park [assuming the wipers are not working!], line up the same spot and you will be accuately positioned without scuffing the wheels.

:)

Will try the reference point idea :).

My car does seem to be using less oil that it did when it was new, I would say it used 500ml in the first 1000 miles and the rest since then.

The car is used on a lot of quick short trips which could also explain why it uses a lot of oil, 95% of that 2600 miles is done in 30 and 20 zones.

I was trying not to order mods before it arrived, but I can see me fitting the silver bulbs pretty pronto tbh. How hard are they to fit? If I don't have to take off the front bumper then it's easier than the RX-8 was...

A

Aslong as you have fairly small hands you'll be fine. especially if you need to replace a sidelight bulb. I have small hands and that was a nightmare

A

Start to finish, both sides, 10 mins, easy as...just getting the cover back on is a pfaff

I've not 'used' these bigger mirrors, but since the mirrors on my 07 100HP are so small they're hardly worth using I suspect they are an improvement to safety, maybe not styling though :)

I've not 'used' these bigger mirrors, but since the mirrors on my 07 100HP are so small they're hardly worth using I suspect they are an improvement to safety, maybe not styling though :)

I really do love the mirors on the new Pandas, yes they look a bit wrong but I feel so much safer in having them.

I really do love the mirors on the new Pandas, yes they look a bit wrong but I feel so much safer in having them.

I'm inclined to agree - the mirrors on Mrs b-u's new 1.1 are huge by comparison with those on my 58-reg 100HP and they do give a much greater field of rearward vision. The major difference in measurements is in height rather than width, so is there more curvature on the glass or is it just the larger size? Maybe an odd question, but is there any risk that the apparent cinemascope rear view could lull you into a false perception that there's no chance of a blind spot?

The car is used on a lot of quick short trips which could also explain why it uses a lot of oil, 95% of that 2600 miles is done in 30 and 20 zones.

Short trips does not necessarily equate to higher oil consumption.

About the only thing that I've found consistently to increase oil consumption, is really hard driving. The only place I've experienced this is on the track where I'd commonly use half a litre on a day, though obviously not in the Panda!

I'm inclined to agree - the mirrors on Mrs b-u's new 1.1 are huge by comparison with those on my 58-reg 100HP and they do give a much greater field of rearward vision. The major difference in measurements is in height rather than width, so is there more curvature on the glass or is it just the larger size? Maybe an odd question, but is there any risk that the apparent cinemascope rear view could lull you into a false perception that there's no chance of a blind spot?

Some people on the 500 forum were of the opinion that the 500 didn't have a blind spot when you were using the mirrors so make of that what you will!

I think you're right about there being more curvature too.

Back