General What an idiot!!!

Currently reading:
General What an idiot!!!

It was the pipe which goes from the fuel pump to the carb...5 splits all along its length!!...Should have replaced it...:eek:

Our 750L almost burnt out in Thornton Heath back in about 2003 iirc when exactly the same pipe failed!

Dad did wonder why we only got 18MPG on the way down from the East :eek: :p

Luckily like you, there was no fire. :)

Although, bodging it and replacing it with a pipe slightly to long, resulting in it having a kink, then resulted in a fun brakedown when the pipe got blocked in the kink about 18months later. lol.

Last edited:
Glad im not the only one!!!....Oh and when i rushed to the engine bay with smoke fumes rising i had a fag in my mouth!!!...:eek:..haha..

Go it wasn't on my forecourt at work then (*would have run to the external tannoy to give a rollocking*) :p

Equally, had a go at dad today. I'm stripping rest of the wrecked Selecta. I gave him warning 'Don't smoke around the car now as I'm removing fuel tank and system'.

35 min later he wanders round whalst I'm under car.

Me - 'Why do I smell petrol and cigarettes :confused: :mad:'

Dad - 'Whoops - and goes running off'. :p

In my case sparks were flying from spark plug to inlet manifold (bad wire). Engine was soaked in petrol, but it didn't ignite :confused:. Maybe because it was cold outside (winter) and engine was cold too.

Remember, it's not the petrol as a liquid that ignites, it's the petrol vapour. It also has to have the right proportion of air mixed in to make the vapour explosive, which is why an empty fuel tank full of fumes is far more likely to ignite than a full tank. The cold air and cold engine wouldn't have too much of an effect on this as the petrol would still evaporate and turn into a gaseous state. What was most likely to have happened in your case is that there was not enough air under the bonnet to make the fuel vapour ignitable.

here is a picture of the bolt in question.

Not enough to get soem grips on.

DSC02759.jpg

To get that out i'd try lots of ease it / wd40 etc or better still diesel and then pop it round with a pointed chisel and a hammer.

If that fails buy a new panda or an electric drill and drill it out with small drills, getting bigger until you can tap it out to the correct size.
An alternative may be a small stud extractor which might work.

Pandamaniac

engine fires not fun ! we never did fully work out what killed my step mums uno;

starter jammed on, and then short while later it was like that.. on a BP petrol station foreocourt! RUNAWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd do the same. If it's REALLY stuck in, drill a hole top and bottom, stick a long screwdriver in it and lever it out against itself. <-- thats the Irish in me talking! Always a way to bodge absolutely everything!:D

Thats a good idea, If kev cuts a slot in it with a small hacksaw blade, he maybe able to uuse a screw driver in it

The key to drilling bolts out is a hard, sharp, centre punch to start the drill off centrally, once you're getting near to the core diameter of the thread, you can normally prise the thin shell of thread away from the sides with a jewellers screwdriver or something similar. Having said that if you don't drill it out perfectly there looks to be plenty of meat in the casting to tap a new thread the next size up or fit a thread insert. If you don't want to invest in a helicoil kit pm me I might have something suitable. Another alternative is to weld a stud on and fit a nut instead.

Mike

Back