Well this is user-friendly ... not

Currently reading:
Well this is user-friendly ... not

chr1s

Panda Lounge TA 2012
I had to check the date wasn't 1st April when I read this !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32481382

"Motorists going abroad after 8 June are being warned they will need to take a special code with them if they want to hire a car.
From that date the paper counterpart of UK driving licences - which records endorsements and fines - is being computerised.
Anyone wanting to hire a car abroad will officially need a code to show convictions for offences like speeding.
To obtain it, motorists will have to log on to the DVLA website beforehand.
But the code is only valid for 72 hours, so anyone wanting to hire a car more than three days into their trip will need to generate a new code while they are abroad.
"

Unbelievable! As if collecting a rental car abroad isn't a painfully slow process already.

I might understand the reasoning if it is to ensure that hire companies see the latest endorsements, but pre-photocard licences are still valid without the code!

You need a friend in the know then :)

A quick test - Need DVLA CODE ASAP

10mins later code arrives - car sorted :)

I must admit i cant wait for a computerised insurance system where we HAVE to put a driving licence number in - so it knows everything about us
So that speeder who didnt declare anything wont be able to hide

Ziggy

They were saying on the Radio this evening you may not need the code but its likely they will accept your history (which you have to print from the DVLA) which I believe doesn't expire.

the paper counterpart which people will shred when its comes into force :bang::bang:

On saying that - i've still got an old / out of date tax disc in mine

Ziggy

Bunch of fannies all these [insert multiple hateful expletives in here] who make it difficult to drive vehicles. I'd get rid of the transport police & laws and start all over again. Totalitarian idiot system, and nob-end European laws making it all even worse than it already is here. France and Germany's motoring laws are way worse than they were some years back, and Scotland and rest of UKs have gotten way worse in recent years too. I'd have no-limit motorways, and you could have a couple of drinks and still legally drive, and change all the dangerous & careless driving laws, no points on speed cameras / red light cameras, I'd change the whole thing and make it sane.
I'd let SORN cars be parked anyplace any other vehicle can park, change the insurance system (eg, not postcode-linked for a start), and as far as legality goes if it passes the MOT it's fine, modded etc or not. And bring the SVA into line with consistency & not have it focused on fiddly stupid stuff like measuring where dash instruments have to be.

Bunch of fannies all these [insert multiple hateful expletives in here] who make it difficult to drive vehicles. I'd get rid of the transport police & laws and start all over again. Totalitarian idiot system, and nob-end European laws making it all even worse than it already is here. France and Germany's motoring laws are way worse than they were some years back, and Scotland and rest of UKs have gotten way worse in recent years too. I'd have no-limit motorways, and you could have a couple of drinks and still legally drive, and change all the dangerous & careless driving laws, no points on speed cameras / red light cameras, I'd change the whole thing and make it sane.
I'd let SORN cars be parked anyplace any other vehicle can park, change the insurance system (eg, not postcode-linked for a start), and as far as legality goes if it passes the MOT it's fine, modded etc or not. And bring the SVA into line with consistency & not have it focused on fiddly stupid stuff like measuring where dash instruments have to be.

I'd prefer to have what we have now than that... Have you seen the state of driving in Russia for example?

It'll be fine as long as you collect your rental car as soon as you arrive, the code is only valid for 72 hours so if you decide to rent a car a week in to your holiday you'll need to generate another code.

I've seen some TV shows with bad Russian driving, but that tells me nothing as to actual causes of it (eg, in some cases they seem to have had at least a half bottle of voddy) or the frequencies of such occurrences as against similar here or elsewhere. It should be ok to have a couple of drinks etc - obviously if you're mature enough to drive you should know your own limits. Some people might start being affected after only 1 drink, so they should only take the one.

I do like those youtube videos of Russian and other driving, which causes no actual accidents etc, but would certainly be classed as 'dangerous' legally. Drifting around roundabouts and traffic weaving, that kind of thing.
There could be a problem if another motorist isn't sure whether to move out of the way or not. Other than that shouldn't be an issue except if some deliberate-obstacle-creator is wanting something bad to come of it.

It's ironic to mention Russia, as this country is getting more like Soviet Communism by the day, where the people weren't really allowed cars, but the ones in charge had their own lanes in the roads, and money & connections gets you off with any legal charges.

Last edited:
Back