General Welding of inner sill near fuel tank/lines

Currently reading:
General Welding of inner sill near fuel tank/lines

Hi all,

1993 Fiat Uno 999cc 3 door

Just coming up to MOT time, already spotted a problem with an inner sill (offside rear wheel arch) which will present some challenges when it comes to welding as close to fuel tank/lines.

Difficult to get photos which show the exact location but from the exterior the holes are at one end of the wheel arch. Also, at the bottom of the panel which can be seen when the trim piece is removed on the inside of the car.

If done properly and with safety in mind, I think the fuel tank and lines would need to be removed, reducing (but not eliminating) the fire risk.

It will be a local garage to carry out the welding (if they decide to take on the work) but even with tank etc taken out still potentially dangerous due to sparks and petrol vapour left over :eek:.

When it comes to the welding, are there any other options apart from going down the route I've mentioned (have ruled out bodging it!)?

Cheers,

Andy :)

Attachments

• DSCF1286.JPG
    DSCF1286.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • DSCF1288.JPG
    DSCF1288.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • DSCF1291.JPG
    DSCF1291.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • DSCF1287.JPG
    DSCF1287.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hi there,

I think I can see where the welding needs to be done. I would imagine that a welder would be able to put something protecting the fuel tank and hence of no risk. Anyway, I am not a professional welder so don't take my word. All I can say is that when my Uno was welded precisely in the same location, the fuel tank wasn't removed.
Talk to the welder and he (or she) will be give you a firmer view.

Let us know how you get on!

As an ex welder, we used fire blanket material to protect vulnerable areas, a competent garage that does welding would/should have the necessary equipment.

Thanks for your replies :).

It turns out that following the MOT earlier today, the fuel tank itself is leaking from the central area and so has failed due to this reason (and, as expected, for bodywork corrosion requiring welding).

The area from where petrol is seeping is spot welded as part of the original Fiat design for this tank which will therefore have to be removed anyway.

I have made some enquiries to find a replacement tank and currently need to establish if it has an anti evaporation device fitted as standard. I will contact a local dealer tomorrow to clarify.

Watch this space!

Cheers,

Andy

Back