Welcome to FIAT Forum v3!

Currently reading:
Welcome to FIAT Forum v3!

Yes, let's call it v3 as back in 2012 we had v2 - and yes, it's been that long since any major update!

Everything is different now, but as same as I could do it so you don't all get lost :)

Some parts have been renamed, such as:

Downloads > Resources
Events > Calendar
Gallery > Media

But rest assured it's just a name change, ALL the data has been imported (I made sure of that and my goodness I never want to do that again!)

There are lots of new things to explore, to be honest I haven't found everything yet so do have a play and let me know if you find any issues or anything missing so I can get right on it.

One of the big ones is that browser push notifications are now supported, so if you're browsing on a mobile you can allow the forum to send you updates - no need for emails each time :)

Current Issues/Tasks:
Search is rubbish, I need to get ElasticSearch installed on the server to solve that.
Gallery images have all been moved, so old links are broken. Working on a redirect script as we speak.
Classifieds need prefixes for existing ads, again, needs an import script so I'm on the case.
Members motors needs converting to the new format, it's useable now so don't worry about that - but it will change in the next week or so.
Links to guides and downloads at top of relevant forum
Thanks reaction missing
Remove number from forum urls
Make stickies more obvious
Show details under avatar on postbits
Login using SSO (Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter)

But please do let me know what you think and if there's anything else I can do!

Cheers!

Ben

Last edited:
Sorry folks but this "dinosaur" can't find where personal messages has gone to in the new format. Is there something similar to the User Control Panel that was in the old setup?
Up top in the header bar 😊
Screenshot_20211220-174149_Edge.jpg

Up top in the header bar 😊
View attachment 392483
Thanks ben. It just looks so different but I think I've got it now. Have a very happy Christmas. My daughter her husband and two children together with mrs J's sister are now installed in our house for the festivities and we've hardly room to turn round. Feeling just a little nervous about the covid implications but we're all testing negative and they move on boxing day so fingers crossed!

Thanks ben. It just looks so different but I think I've got it now. Have a very happy Christmas. My daughter her husband and two children together with mrs J's sister are now installed in our house for the festivities and we've hardly room to turn round. Feeling just a little nervous about the covid implications but we're all testing negative and they move on boxing day so fingers crossed!
Don't fret buddy, I'm sure everything will be fine 😊

Happy xmas to you too!

The old system repeated the thread title at each post, so even once scrolled down there was a reminder of which thread you were in. That has disappeared, with just a partial title in the tab of the browser, or we have to scroll back to the top if we need reminding.

Just a little one here, added a category filter to the top of the main forum page.

At the moment it only has two items "All Forums" and "Model Specific", but I thought it would help new joiners find their car a bit easier.

It does as you expect, "All Forums" will show all the forums and "Model Specific" will hide everything except the model specific ones.

Selection choice is remembered via a cookie, so you don't need to click it each time :)

1640862329227.png

Or, if you want to create your own combo of categories, leave the setting as "All Forums", then use the
1640866764387.png
toggle buttons to the right of each category name to hide/show them individually :)

Last edited:
I personally find the Showcase feature a bit confusing? It seems weird to have to be taken to a different page to view the first post of a MM thread but the replies are on a separate page.

I said I'd get it sorted - and now I finally have.

The main content will now show where "Post 1" usually is (y)

1641899148595.png

not sure if anyone mentioned this already but on the old forum design we used to have little country flag icons under our avatar, that was based on the Country (mandatory field) in our profile. We still have Location, but as that is not required a lot of people don't have a country/location. As a workaround, I just added "UK" to my Location, but having the country flag back would be nice, alonside the other icons. Or perhaps display Country (as text) below Location

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 10.49.02.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 10.49.02.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 10.51.13.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 10.51.13.png
    37 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Having the links to guides and downloads at the top of each vehicle forum was a handy shortcut, can that be reinstated?

Well I got there in the end, had been trying to work out how to 1) get them to display nicely and 2) pick up settings from the database rather than manually typing them all in.

Happy to say both issues are sorted and they now show up at the top as before :)

Desktop:
1642247427282.png

Mobile:
1642247449397.png

And now I think I can finally mark my to-do list as complete :D

And now I think I can finally mark my to-do list as complete :D
Any possibility of making the forum title repeat as a header across each post, as it used to. By the time we get past a couple of posts, the forum has disappeared, and the text in the tab at the top of the browser is too long to be of much value. It is useful to be reminded of what forum we're viewing, as this may affect the reply.

Any possibility of making the forum title repeat as a header across each post, as it used to. By the time we get past a couple of posts, the forum has disappeared, and the text in the tab at the top of the browser is too long to be of much value. It is useful to be reminded of what forum we're viewing, as this may affect the reply.

Do you mean this bit?

1642251447475.png

The old forum software did indeed allow a separate title for each individual post - if you used advanced reply you could actually change that to whatever you wanted, with the default being Re: (Replied post)

The new system doesn't do that (which is why it doesn't show up anywhere).

So what you are asking for is this part of the page to stay visible at all times (stuck to the top like the black header bar is)?

1642251570838.png

No, not the post title, the thread title, e.g. "What's made you smile today", or "Panda (Mk3)", so that when replying we are reminded what the thread is about. This was useful, as it helped focus the reply on the subject model and not confuse with details about others. e.g. 500 or Panda when much is the same.

No, not the post title, the thread title, e.g. "What's made you smile today", or "Panda (Mk3)", so that when replying we are reminded what the thread is about. This was useful, as it helped focus the reply on the subject model and not confuse with details about others. e.g. 500 or Panda when much is the same.

Added - shows on desktop only though as it doesn't look great on mobile.

1642945201091.png

Back