Technical Weird problem with my Uno Urgent help needed

Currently reading:
Technical Weird problem with my Uno Urgent help needed

cvczapie

I have a weird problem with my Uno, i got in the car the other day and all was fine, till i reached the first stop street, when i pull away the gear lever started to shake very violently from side to side, if you press the clutch is stops the shaking of the gear lever, if i leave the clutch it starts to shake again. i haven't drivin it for almost a week now and tried it today again but it still does the shaking>

could some one please tell what couses this and how to fix it

I don't like the sound of this but
Simple things first, are the engine/gearbox mountings all good. There are 3, if one was broken or the bolts had broken that might be the reason. If you jack the car up and have both front wheels off the ground will the wheels spin without shaking the car.

Are there any unusual noises when the shaking happens.

However I am wondering if the clutch plate has thrown some linings off and making it unbalanced. When the clutch is pressed in it is not spinning, when you let it out it starts to spin as the car starts to move.

How many km/miles on the car.

Here is hoping the Uno experts know what is going on here.

Ooops, read the post again, is it only the gearlever that shakes or is it the whole car?

Last edited:
Like rawill, I suspect engine and gearbox mountings, especially if only the gear lever is shaking.

When the car is stopped, does the gear lever feel 'normal' when you select all the gears? If not, maybe one of the rods has simply popped off the balljoints under the car. You can temporarily tie the rod on until you can replace the plastic balljoint sockets.

If the whole car is shaking, maybe there is a driveshaft problem or a clutch problem. It could be quite a major problem and you should get the car looked at by someone who has a hoist and experience.

-Alex

Thanks everyone that replied

Here are some questions to the answers of some of the replies

the car and the gear lever shakes, whilst driving and I've press the clutch in and the shaking stopped, i have replaced all three mountings and got new bolts as well, i also installed a new sub frame ( Crossmember ) and also replaced both the drive shafts a few months back, everything brand new from the dealer ship. so the only thing that remains is the clutch. should i replace both the clutch and pressure plate?

should i replace both the clutch and pressure plate?

Yes. It is false economy to change just one part of the clutch (if one part is worn then then it's likely the rest is also) and besides, most standard clutches come as kit incorporating pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing. Not only that but you don't want to go to all the trouble of having the gearbox removed to change one part then re-assemble it again only to find that another part needs changing also.

You also mention that the whole car shakes as well as the gearstick when driving. This sounds like something is seriously out of balance, which could be the clutch but I'm also wondering if it is more drivetrain related. Did this shaking occur before you had the driveshafts and subframe replaced?

Good point. :)

Teacher's note: 6/10 - Good try, but reading skills need improvement.

Good point. :)
Teacher's note: 6/10 - Good try, but reading skills need improvement.

:)Pity I am not going to be in South Wales next trip, I like your approach to life.

Well re the shaking: Sadly there is not much left except the clutch/transmission. You have almost rebuilt it.

But do swing past a friendly motor mechanic and get him to give you an opinion. We would not like to send you down the wrong path on a wasted effort.

Yes. It is false economy to change just one part of the clutch (if one part is worn then then it's likely the rest is also) and besides, most standard clutches come as kit incorporating pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing. Not only that but you don't want to go to all the trouble of having the gearbox removed to change one part then re-assemble it again only to find that another part needs changing also.

Good advice here.

And also mid last century when I was a motor mechanic we would also replace the spigot bearing if we were doing the clutch. Just good practice to replace all the bits in there while you are in there.

Good advice here.

And also mid last century when I was a motor mechanic we would also replace the spigot bearing if we were doing the clutch. Just good practice to replace all the bits in there while you are in there.

That's good advice too - but, there's no flywheel spigot bearing on the front-wheel-drive FIATs. :) I think we can let you off because front-wheel-drive didn't become popular until the final twenty years of last century. :D

The relevant job to do instead is to check and possibly replace the input shaft bearing and seal on the gearbox, since that performs the task of centralising the clutch.

If the gearbox input shaft bearing is badly worn, that could cause the input shaft to waggle around but centralise itself when the clutch is disengaged. I find that fairly unlikely though - there would be the most horrendous growling/grinding noise from the gears and a bad oil leak. However, it would cause shaking from the out-of-centre clutch.

I wonder why all the mountings, subframe, and driveshafts were replaced - were they damaged, or was the replacement to try and fix the same shaking problem?

It's worth checking the driveshafts again, particularly the inner joints (especially considering these have to come off before you remove the gearbox to change the clutch). Make sure the joint has not worked loose on the shaft - the circlip might have come off?

If those parts were replaced due to damage, it's possible that misalignment of the front end structure has caused one of the driveshaft joints to pop out of the diff, and lose the needle roller bearings in the process. If one of the driveshafts has missing needles, there will be a horrible shaking (I know, because I've experienced it :))

If those parts were replaced to try and fix the shaking, then the only thing left to replace is the clutch.

-Alex

Last edited:
That's good advice too - but, there's no flywheel spigot bearing on the front-wheel-drive FIATs. :) I think we can let you off because front-wheel-drive didn't become popular until the final twenty years of last century. :D
-Alex

Well there you go:) To all forum people beware who gives you advice!!:D:eek:

You see I have never taken the gearbox out of a front wheel drive car.

Actually the last gearbox I took out was a Mitsubishi Canter Truck (our Campervan) I had to replace all the gearbox bearings.

I was just thinking through what could cause the shaking problem and thought i would add in about the spigot. I am glad I said it was last century. But I don't want to give the game away about how old I am!!:eek:

Nearly old enough not have to work now! oops

Back