General weird noise going through gears when engine cold

Currently reading:
General weird noise going through gears when engine cold

thunderstorm

Hi,
I've had my mk1 punto (R reg, 97) since June, and since pretty much the end of June its been making a funny noise- but now does it pretty much every time I drive it.
When I first start driving and speed up, just bfore each gear change theres a weird sort of squealing noise or whining.. its rather hard to descibre :p but if you change up a gear it stops, if you push clutch down it stops, or, if you carry on accelerating it stops after a couple of seconds. Once ive been driving round and the engine is warm it doesnt do it at all!

I had my cambelt and alternator belt changed early sept, and that didnt make any difference. Im not very good with cars.. :) when I had it serviced I asked if they knew what it was but the answer was 'its just its age'.

Its not affecting my driving yet but now its getting colder it seems to be getting slightly worse. It probs sounds silly but it does sound weird and isnt right and its really frustrating not knowing the cause!

Any ideas?! :)

as said once again, could be a tensioner or a slack belt causing the noise. Could aslo be a water pump too.

It may just be a slack alternator belt thats slipping due to the weather. Check the tension in it. I know punto belts are very tight.

Back