Technical weak brakes

Currently reading:
Technical weak brakes

antsuno2

Established member
Hi i seem to have developed weak brakes on the ut, ive changed master cylinder, compensator, rear calipers, bled the system numerous times but the brakes feel weak, even when pressing down hard it just slows down, me and my mech mate went all over it and all should be well, the only thing ive not tried is the pedalbox, if i press down hard on the brake it seems to lift the clutch pedal and there seems to be quite a bit of play in the brake pedal, like its not pushing the piston on the master cylinder enough , has anyone had a problem like this, cheers Ant!

It could be a number of things Ant. The front brake hoses may be breaking down internally and causing a restriction of brake fluid. The front callipers maybe sticking. Also, the rear brake compensator valve maybe seized (most are!) restricting the braking to the rear.

Have you tried the car on a brake tester to see how much braking you're actually getting? That would be a good way of isolating roughly where the problem lies.

I'm sure you already know that the Uno brakes, including the turbo, were never that brilliant in terms of feel from new. Oh, and yes, the brake pedal will make the pedal box flex when pushed down hard! I reckon a brake test on an MOT style tester will be the best way forward from here (y)

Sounds like the servo isn't working... try the usual servo test, pump the pedal with the engine off, then hold down the pedal and start the engine - pedal should fall.

Also sounds like there may be a problem with the mounting of the cross-rod on the bulkhead (ahead of the passenger) - perhaps it has cracked the mountings.

-Alex

Lol, yeah, crappy brakes, I recently overhauled mine to nearly the same extent... only front brakes were not disassembled as well as the stupid proportioning valve.

And it still pretty much sucks, allthough less than before... I remember my mom had this ugly entry level Toyota Cresida, which would plant your face in the windscreen when you tried to brake.... I'd like it more like that.

Thanks for the replys lads, i have changed the servo and done the test to make sure it works (pumping the brake pedal numerous times, hold down, start engine and pedal dips down) changed compensator and the little piston can be seen moving, there is plenty of brake fluid coming from blead nipple, ive tested it on a brake tester and the rears are weak, but the fronts wont lock even when i realy try, i will look at the bar again, seems there is a bit of play and the pedal doesnt feel hard, like its not operating the master cylnder enough,, cheers Ant!

Back