Wax

Currently reading:
Wax

so if i use super resin polish, do i use extra gloss then wax or wax then extra gloss

You use the SRP then EGP. Im pretty sure the EGP is used as a wax, ie to protect the paintwork (y)

If you want to use something between the polishing and waxing stages you could try Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine. It'll bring out the colour before you apply the Extra Gloss Protection.

Hi,
Although I don't use either the SRP or the EGP anymore I use CLEARKOTE products, I have used them in the past and you don't need anything else on top of the EGP, it is a synthetic sealant which performs the same function as a natural wax (like a carnauba wax for eg.).
You apply the SRP first with microfibre cloths (straight on and off one panel at a time) and can apply the EGP straight after.
A couple of tips:- Really do apply it as thinly as you can and let it 'cure' on the car for as long as you can before buffing it off, it is far easier to remove if left on for a few hours so I used to apply it to the entire car and leave it on for a few hours and then it just buffs up with no effort at all. Mind you my garage is big enough that I can clean the car inside, so you will need to make sure it's not going to rain for a few hours if you're doing it outside.
Another tip I discovered which avoids the 2 step SRP then EGP system is to mix them - appoximately 75% SRP to 25% EGP and shake well. Find an old container and try mixing a small amount first and see how you get on with it before mixing all of your newly bought bottles of polish.
I found that it works just as well as applying the two seperately and you don't seem to get as much dust as you do when using the SRP on its own.
Hope some of this helps you out (y)

wolfracepunto:
Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine is a stand alone product and is not recomended that you overcoat it with EGP...

taken from
http://www.properautocare.com/auuldesh.html

"Late News: I did get a chance to speak with Autoglym just before publishing this and I was able to learn that this is a stand-alone, one-step product. It is not designed to be used with Super Resin Polish or topped with Extra Gloss Protection. More to come."

thanks for the info everyone, think i'll just stick to the SRP and EGP, get a great finish at the moment with them. why is it best to use microfibre cloths?

Sorry, my mistake. I researched it before posting here and have realised now that I didnt read far enough down the thread :eek: You are right, it is a standalone product and doesnt bond with EGP.

Cheers for that!

I personally tend not to use AG for my paintwork, its hard work compared with other products - dust from SRP goes everywhere, if you get SRP on black trim it doesnt like coming off and it isn't as nice to use. Also the results aren't as good imo. But everyone has their own preference!

When I started to buy polish, it was the Autoglym Super Resin! But that was when I thought polish/waxes were the same thing etc... and didnt really have a clue about it all!

I listed what I use now (a polishing/detailing newbie) on my VXR thread :p

I use:
Menzerna Final Polish II
Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze
Chemical Guys XXX Hardcore Paste Wax

-one after another. Foam applicators, and microfibre cloths to buff off. Theyre all available online from various sites.

The polish removes swirling in the paint, the glaze gives it a nice deep colour/shine and the wax protects the newly corrected paintwork.

If you want to get the products from Halfords, the Meguires stuff is supposed to be good. Make sure you get decent cloths or foam applicators though!

What would you suggest for a total polishing newbie?

The paint on the Marea only ever got a combined car shampoo and wax :D

I don't think you can go far wrong with the Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection already mentioned. They are well regarded even with the detailing world hardcore car cleaning nuts and don't cost the earth I think Halfords even has a 3 for 2 on all AG stuff.

Back