Technical Waterless coolant?

Currently reading:
Technical Waterless coolant?

My engine has just been skimmed, bored out and rebuilt after damage due to a blown gasket. My garage phoned and asked if I'd like them to use Evans waterless coolant when they put it all back together.. Anyone used it before? I've heard good and not so good things about these type of coolants. My car has a twin kenlowe fan setup too so not sure waterless coolant is needed.. Any thoughts?

Ed China raved about that on wheeler dealers a while back.... Seem to remember it was a TR6 he worked on, no idea if its any good for an X19 though!

Thanks for that. Just watched the video..pretty convincing. There's also a Jay Leno's garage video on you tube..he's been using it in his vintage and other cars for 16 years..If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me :worship:

Only thing that puts me off is the cost as I find it hard enough to stomach the cost of anti-reeze :) at the rate an X1/9 gets through it...

Other than that i think its a great idea.

I also replaced two head gaskets last summer... had the head skimmed the second time which sorted it out.

I have recently fitted a scirocco type aluminium radiator which has yet to allow the fan to come on at all. The fan is attached with the original temp switch and all without cutting anything at all. the radiator was about £30 (y) Will be interesting to see how it performs in the summer.

An orginal type rad could be fitted again, the weight difference is quite impressive!

Last edited:
I've not used it, but do know that Rotax have a recommend waterless coolant for some of their aircraft engines. It's based on propylene glycol. Note that while it boils at higher temperature (180 degC) than pressurised water (~120 degC) which stops localised boiling at hot spots, it's specfic heat capacity is less (it's high heat capacity is waters one big advantage). This means that all else being the same, an engine will run slightly hotter with waterless coolant than with water/antifreeze. This is not a bad thing, hotter engines are more efficent. Hot spots in the cylinder head can cause head gasket problems and waterless coolant helps with this. The other big advantage is less corrosion. Overall I'd say it's a good idea if you intend to keep the car.

Thanks for all your thoughts on the matter..I'm def going to use it as there seem to be lots of advantages and the only downside is the cost but with the bill I'm likely to get for a block and head skim, rebore, balancing flywheel, rebuild and other bits and pieces, it won't make that much difference! I've had 3 head gaskets blow in the past 2 years (even though it's a 12k miles car) so the benefits it may bring in eliminating hotspots may help with this. Should be getting it back in 2 weeks..Can't wait as it's been in the garage since last August. I'll have 4 months to run it in properly before taking it to south of France in the summer..Happy days (y)

Hi
I registered today so very new. However, I have just put in Evans waterless coolant into my wife's X19. I have been running it in my Triumph Stag since Xmas. With the X19 that we bought in Dec 14, it had not really been used for 5 years or so and had built up serious "cholesterol" in the heater valve and other parts of the cooling system. After washing out the system several times I decided to go the whole hog and change the water pump, all hoses, fan switch, get the radiator professionally cleaned out, etc before running the car on the prep fluid for a few days and then replace that with the Classic Cool 180 Evans waterless fluid. The car runs hotter - now - just over the 90 degree and higher at times but OK nonetheless. I figure that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages but am thinking of getting another cooling fan as we live in Southern Spain and it gets rather warm at times here. If you have any questions I will try and answer them.

Back