General water temp guage

Currently reading:
General water temp guage

teapotter

YellowPeril
A quick one, I am currently making up a shopping list for a temp guage - seems like a sensible addition! Do you need a mechanical or electrical guage!? - seems a daft question but dont want to waste time getting wrong bits. 30mm seems to be the adaptor of choice reading from previous threads but does anyone know of a cheaper place to get them (no combination of words seems to give me any results in ebay) and deamon tweeks ask for £25 odd for one which seems ridiculous!!

thanks matey. It doesnt tell me though if its mechanical or electrical!? I am looking to get a nice looking gauge from DT but they list styles in both types!

Nearly all water temp gauges are now electrical. Years back, they used to use a capillary tube filled with mercury or alcohol to drive the mechanism.

I bought a nice electrical gauge from an Ebay seller for about £15, works well enough.

You also need a hose adapter. The senders are usually 1/8NPT and should come with the gauge unit as a package.

all bits bought :)

Got a nice electrical gauge from DT that matches the rev counter (plan on mounting it on it - hopefully). Also finally found a hose adaptor with correct thread for the sensor on ebay. The words "temp sensor adapter" will get you a list, I went for this one in case anyone else needs the info i.e 30mm with 1/8 NPT

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
That's the exact hose adapter I used. I ran into the slight problem that the tapping for the sender was slightly oversized, leaving the sender a little loose. I used some PTFE tape to sort matters out. Obviously doing this means that the sender doesn't electrically connect to the adapter (and hence the earth connection on it). I therefore used an large crimp-on eyelet as a 'washer' under the sender and took an earth to it.

I splashed out on a nice gauge so i am hoping its of decent quality, if the the sender is loose I will be sending the cheaper adapter back since it states it should fit the thread. Thats the only thing I dont like about ebay, the cheaper quality and unknown element....watch this space

right, stupid question, are you fitting the adapter in the top radiator hose?? i'm fitting a temp gauge to my sei sporting mpi as i have just cooked the head. (the oh-**** light doesn't work!)

Yes, you chop a section out of the top hose (equal in length to the length of the adapter). Install the adapter and fit the sender. The sender will have a feed wire coming from the gauge and the body of the sender must be earthed to the car chassis. Since you will probably have to use PTFE tape between the sender and the adapter hole to give a good seal, you'll probably need to use a crimp eyelet as per my post above.
Do not overtighten the sender in the adapter in an effort to get a seal. The adapter is fairly soft aluminium and there is a chance of wrecking the tapping.

When buying a gauge try to find one with the red 'overheat' marking starting at 110 deg. The FIAT FIRE engine runs pretty hot and in traffic the gauge may well be sitting at 100-105deg (exit temp of water coming from the head) - doesn't look too clever if the needle is in the red zone. Mine starts at 105deg which is about where the fan kicks in, so if the needle goes into the red then I know it is REALLY overheating.

Last edited:
cool, thanks, im gonna use that seller for the whole kit. then it should all work together......... in theory..... :) they have a nice digital led gauge i like the look of.

The gauges from the seller looked good but I wanted something that matched the existing gauges in the sei spi (or as close I could get it). Also, some of the nicer gauges from the seller did not have senders included - just another item to buy

Would anyone be willing to post a pic of an SPI temp guage wiring (housed on the rev counter as per the guide) please? I have no experience with wiring and predictably I am finding it hard! Also, where is the best place to go through the bulk head so wires come out by the rev counter? - there is a bung over by the ECU but it disappears into the front dash and I dont fancy taking that lot out!! cheers

I think there is a photo guide in the ...er...guides section

...housed on the rev counter as per the guide

Really :rolleyes:

...I am looking for a photo of the wires connected so I know what goes with what. Thanks for suggesting the guide but I am sure you have already read it so know there is a pic of the plug only, non of the sender attached

Last edited:
Back