Technical Water leak?

Currently reading:
Technical Water leak?

StephS

Hi

I bought my Fiat 500 Lounge new back in May and have noticed it seems to run out of coolant quite quickly - I've already had it run out completely twice since then, and I don't drive that far each day - I've done about 4k miles so far in total.

I'm not sure if this is common amongst Fiats or whether something is wrong with my car! I'd be grateful to hear back if anyone is experiencing anything similar...

Thanks!

Would agree with Jake that there is a problem.
You must have a leak somewhere in the system.

Totally agree, take it back immediately, you will ruin your engine like this. If you want to fault-find yourself, take it for a drive when cold and dark to warm up fully, park up in a dark spot, open bonet and using a torch follow the trail of steam to the source.

HTH

To be honest never run a car like that. If its using something like coolant which runs in a closed system then you could have a major problem as Pearce_jj said. In some instances a car might loose a little over time but we are only talking small "top up" amounts.

Well done for checking the coolant level though. as many dont bother and would have ended up with no engine.

Does the new 500 also use those poxy clips for holding on the coolant pipes?

I dont trust those and its not unheard of for them to never have been fitted properly and / or tightened correctly, always worth a look-see.

Thanks everyone - I took it back to the dealer to get it looked at today and they've advised me that the thermostat is leaking and it's dangerous to drive!

Should have it back next week (and did get a courtesy car so all's well!)

Thanks for the advice!

I've got this as well. My car is a 1.2 sport. What worries me is I got my OH to take it to the dealers and all they did was top it up :eek:.

I'm sure it's still doing it. I've just not had the chance to take it back to them.

Back