Washing machine prob

Currently reading:
Washing machine prob

rpaterson

OK white good gurus, here's one for you...

18 month old Indesit WIA121 has started flashing the red door lock LED continuously - no other LEDs are lit. It happened when we got back from Xmas hols and switched it back on, so I suspect that the board has been spiked. It will still wash a load, but god only knows what program it's on.

I've had a look on the DIY forums and there are a few with similar probs - all saying that the board is gubbed (40 - 85 quid). I'm tempted to pull it apart at the weekend and look for evidence of scorching/burning - I'm sure that armed with a Maplins catalogue and a soldering iron, I can defeat the beast. Anyone had/heard of anything similar?

Last edited:
OK white good gurus, here's one for you...

18 month old Indesit WIA121 has started flashing the red door lock LED continuously - no other LEDs are lit. It happened when we got back from Xmas hols and switched it back on, so I suspect that the board has been spiked. It will still wash a load, but god only knows what program it's on.

I've had a look on the DIY forums and there are a few with similar probs - all saying that the board is gubbed (40 - 85 quid). I'm tempted to pull it apart at the weekend and look for evidence of scorching/burning - I'm sure that armed with a Maplins catalogue and a soldering iron, I can defeat the beast. Anyone had/heard of anything similar?

how much knowledge do you have of electrics etc ?

unless you know much about washing machines you can easily do the following

1) hurt yourself or possibly kill yourself

2) brake it completely

3) waste a lot of time

so please unless you have dine this before dont even attempt it. instead take it to a reputable repairer.

for a new panel on a machine at that age fixed by my dad you would be looking at about £30-40 depending on part cost but id expect no more than £40.

Thanks for your concern Vimto, but I consider myself a tinkering GOD :)

thats ok:)

my dad fixes them for a living and i know a bit from him so ill help where i can.

hurt your self lol

the human body can take a bit
i admit a 9v battery can kill you

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

but
unless there is a massive capacitor on the bored (which can be discharged)
since he wont be operating on it live the risk is acceptable

worst ive had is 12v worst ive seen was my dad with 10,000v dc even he admits he was seeing stars after.

most washing machines have a nasty sharp ridge just under the lid if nothing else so watch your fingers.

thats ok:)

my dad fixes them for a living and i know a bit from him so ill help where i can.

worst ive had is 12v worst ive seen was my dad with 10,000v dc even he admits he was seeing stars after.

most washing machines have a nasty sharp ridge just under the lid if nothing else so watch your fingers.
A useful man to know! We've got an AEG OKO Lavamat 72630, and it's just this week decided to keep getting stuck on certain programmes. You have to switch it on to pump out, then rinse, and then re-start it. Do you reckon that sounds like a board fault as well?

2 things: when you take the lid of the washer, watch your fingers and arms - sharp stuff inside!!

And, lastly, the problem is you bought an Indesit.... ;)

LOL at the problem being the fact it's an Indesit. A few of the forums are recommending that people stay away from Indesit/Hotpoint etc and stick to Bosch (other white goods manufacturers are available).

LOL at the problem being the fact it's an Indesit. A few of the forums are recommending that people stay away from Indesit/Hotpoint etc and stick to Bosch (other white goods manufacturers are available).

theres bugger all wrong with indesit.

by far the worst machines for reliability are twin tubs.

most washing machines my dad sees are 18 months old max.

we had a machine that was near enough 30 years old and ran it till it fell apart.

only replaced the bearings 3 times in that entire time and once changed a motor that was it.

old white goods are generaly better although not as effiecent.

Speaking of old vs new, I got a VCR repaired a few years ago and the guy said that the old black coloured stuff lasted longer than the newer silver coloured stuff. Just another indicator of our disposable society I suppose.

UPDATE.

Has the amchine in bits yesterday and had a good stare at the circuit board. I didn't see any signs of buring or arcing so I reached for my multimeter. Remind me about diodes please, they're only supposed to have continuity in one direction aren't they? Well there are three diodes on the board that show (different levels of) continuity in both directions. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is actually showing up as something to do with the door interlock circuit as it's only one light that's flashing on and off. The manuals and FAQs all mention more than one light flashing at one time. I also suspect it's interlock related as I think that I can start a cycle with the door open.

I'll have another peek at some white good forums and see what comes up.

washing machines are a pain in the arse now- sealed bearings so drum needs replacing, bushes that cannot be replaced, circuit boards packing in.

my folks had an indesit for 25 years, bearing replaced a couple of times and bushes replaced once. finally went in a cloud of smoke when my dad fitted another set of bushes years later as the motor must of collapsed!

in the last 7 years they have had 4 washing machines. 2 fully replaced under warranty and the other two giving up out of warranty and cost too mush to repair ( drums failed as cannot replace bearings)

they on a hoover one now and its lasted 2 years. Mine is a Beko and i bought it second hand for £40 when i moved in and it is fine 18 months later, never had a problem, and it was 3 years old when i bought it.

Going back to the VCR thing- silver or black doesnt matter thats a myth.

Back