General Was told not to buy Fiat ;-/

Currently reading:
General Was told not to buy Fiat ;-/

So I have had mt Grande Punto for 2 years 5 months now & today it went to Stoneacre as I had a recall letter. Also the Blue & Me system stopped responding which which whilst annoying I wasn't too fussed about as I thought it was a software issue after doing a quick search here. I press the windows button & she says nothing, I can't skip songs but the music plays & title shows etc.

When I dropped the car off I mentioned the breaks were still squeaking (so much that my neighbours have actually complained) and that there was a noise coming from the rear side passenger seat area.

I came out with a list of issues, none of which are covered under the completely pointless 3rd year warranty. If I get everything sorted I would need to pay £1026.60 :eek: Take off the 3 tyres that 'need' changing immediately and the front blades its £744.29

£316.99 for brake discs & pads (some work has been done here under warranty about a year ago as the breaks have been noisy from day 1)
£176.31 for a quarter panel - I think this is to stop the squeak that is driving me insane... don't really know & neither did the woman
£250.99 for Blue & Me steering controls - I don't understand this one, the buttons work to change the volume & also to change the radio station?!?! As you will know you use the same button to change blue & me music & radio stations...

If I have a bill for this much after just 25,000 miles I have no confidence in the thing... it may look the business but to say I am unimpressed is an understatement. Will contact Fiat & see if they think its acceptable... Oh how my mates will laugh & say I told you so :eek:

Just posting to vent really!

Brakes wear out and need changing on every car. As for the squeaky seat; can't you trace the noise yourself?
I don't know about the rest.
Surely you won't have work done when you don't know what it's for?

yeah tbh mate brakes and tyres are all part of the cost of ownership so you can't really moan at that...obviously the other stuff is pretty annoying but any other car for a similar price (or much higher for that matter) has its gripes!!!

Sorry you're having some trouble but at least it looks better than the competition! ;)

yeah tbh mate brakes and tyres are all part of the cost of ownership so you can't really moan at that...obviously the other stuff is pretty annoying but any other car for a similar price (or much higher for that matter) has its gripes!!!

Sorry you're having some trouble but at least it looks better than the competition! ;)

sell it then to please your mates.

:yeahthat:

Try popping off the steering wheel control caps.

My track up button wasn't working properly, so I popped it off and the rubber membrane was twisted :eek:

Not moaning about the tyres or the wiper blades... The brakes shouldn't need doing since the pads were replaced just over a year ago & I hardly use the car anymore as I no longer have a daily commute to work... and the quote is ridiculous. Will look into doing it myself but I'm going to take it to another garage first as I don't trust where I took it one bit but I'm not here to slag them off so will say no more on that!!

Can't sort the noise coming from the rear passenger side myself... I'll just get used to it I guess.

Its the Blue & Me issue that has annoyed me the most... I wanted an explanation as to why the buttons work for some functions & not others but she couldn't give me one :bang:

For a car less than 3 years old I don't think I am being unreasonable expecting simple things like buttons to still be working.... And I will be selling it if Fiat won't help out with the work. Lovely looking car but quality just isn't there.

So I have had mt Grande Punto for 2 years 5 months now & today it went to Stoneacre as I had a recall letter.

and..........:confused:

Also the Blue & Me system stopped responding which which whilst annoying I wasn't too fussed about as I thought it was a software issue after doing a quick search here. I press the windows button & she says nothing, I can't skip songs but the music plays & title shows etc.

have you done as suggested many times here to disconnect the battery for few minutes?

When I dropped the car off I mentioned the breaks were still squeaking (so much that my neighbours have actually complained)

Its 30 months old! has it had front pads yet?

I came out with a list of issues, none of which are covered under the completely pointless 3rd year warranty.

The owners who have had steering columns (£600+) & racks etc would tend to disagree with you I reckon.

Take off the 3 tyres that 'need' changing immediately

Do you not check your tyres on a regular basis?

£316.99 for brake discs & pads

Go to local autoparts etc...third of the price.

£250.99 for Blue & Me steering controls
...boll*cks, did they even check this (on examiner) as I said disconnect battery.

If I have a bill for this much after just 25,000 miles I have no confidence in the thing

confidence?...has it ever let you down?

Oh how my mates will laugh & say I told you so :eek:

get new mates

Just posting to vent really!
go for a 5 mile run insteard...you'll feel better & healthier.

have you done as suggested many times here to disconnect the battery for few minutes?

The owners who have had steering columns (£600+) & racks etc would tend to disagree with you I reckon.

...boll*cks, did they even check this (on examiner) as I said disconnect battery.

get new mates

I have no idea how to do that fancy multi quote stuff... :eek: Anyways

1, And what?? I too am confused about your first point :confused:

2 No I haven't personally disconnected the battery as I am not confident enough to do this myself... I know if not done right there could be massive consequences... from memory it was you who said take it to the dealer if not 100% (my apologies if it wasn't you but someone in the know did!)

3, Just rear I believe... maybe I have just been lucky that all other cars have gone way more than 25000 miles without needing pads & discs, my issue here is more the price quoted though & I know that is a dealer issue & that if I do it myself I will save. I am not happy messing with brakes myself though

4, It seems some have had to fight for this work to be carried out free & I bet I could find more people that think the 3rd year warranty is a bit pointless

5, Yes thanks... They are not dangerously low at all I think its more a case of the dealer being desperately in need of some money

6, As above, nice idea but not happy to fit myself although I could try & find someone in the know I guess.

7, Whats bollo*ks?? That is the price quoted to fix the Blue & Me issue... Come to think of it they can't of disconnected the battery no not unless they tuned all 6 radio stations in for me & reset the clock.
Another example of the great dealer service hey... either the guys in the workshop don't know what they are doing which scares me a little as they are messing with peoples cars, they are ripping people off quoting for work that doesn't need doing or they really do need replacing which no matter what you say shouldn't be the case already.

8, A car doesn't in my opinion have to physically break down for you to lose some confidence in it...

9 & 10, Im happy with my mates thanks and went to the gym on the way home from work so I'm good to vent

2 No I haven't personally disconnected the battery as I am not confident enough to do this myself... I know if not done right there could be massive consequences... from memory it was you who said take it to the dealer if not 100% (my apologies if it wasn't you but someone in the know did!)

not going to bite you on the arse if you take the battery clamp off for 10 mins

not hard fiat kindly give you a quick release clamp

Attachments

• 2073798901_8e2a4ddb4e.jpg
    2073798901_8e2a4ddb4e.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 78
I have no idea how to do that fancy multi quote stuff... :eek: Anyways

Just press QUOTE ;)

Recall?

Dont remember :confused: but all you do is release the grey lever on negative battery pole then pull up termina;...count to 10 then push terminal back on & lock lever

3, Just rear I believe... maybe I have just been lucky that all other cars have gone way more than 25000 miles without needing pads & discs, my issue here is more the price quoted though & I know that is a dealer issue & that if I do it myself I will save. I am not happy messing with brakes myself though

Unlikely to need discs, take it to local quick-fit etc for quote for pads. I respect your un-willingless to do it.Price you were quoted is well excessive!

4, It seems some have had to fight for this work to be carried out free & I bet I could find more people that think the 3rd year warranty is a bit pointless

Trust me (would I lie to you?) I deal with 3rd year warranty every day and it is worth it however I feel the problem lies with salesmen who tell you it has a 3year warranty (car sold so dont care anymore...NOT ALL salesmen are like this though thank god) but if you were told from the outset the ins/outs of 3rd year warranty you wouldn't be so p1ssed off.

5, Yes thanks... They are not dangerously low at all I think its more a case of the dealer being desperately in need of some money

2mm is dangerous level, 3mm is better start saving those pennies.

6, As above, nice idea but not happy to fit myself although I could try & find someone in the know I guess.

See #3

7, Whats bollo*ks?? That is the price quoted to fix the Blue & Me issue... Come to think of it they can't of disconnected the battery no not unless they tuned all 6 radio stations in for me & reset the clock.

Could off, tech should always re-tune radio & set clock if required.

Another example of the great dealer service hey... either the guys in the workshop don't know what they are doing which scares me a little as they are messing with peoples cars, they are ripping people off quoting for work that doesn't need doing or they really do need replacing which no matter what you say shouldn't be the case already.

Well often the software is at fault in the convergence unit or confused by a file on the IPOD,USB stick etc. I would disconnect battery first then reload software files before I started looking elsewhere.

8, A car doesn't in my opinion have to physically break down for you to lose some confidence in it...

I prefer the word 'annoying' compared to 'confidence' but we'' beg to differ there;)

9 & 10, Im happy with my mates thanks and went to the gym on the way home from work so I'm good to vent[/QUOTE]

Did you all go to gym in your car

He sounds like a nice bloke with quite minor car problems that a decent garage should be able to sort.

The thing hasn't actually broken down, which is where major annoyance kicks in...

...is there another Fiat dealer within striking distance?

get new mates

Just press QUOTE ;)

Recall?

Dont remember :confused: but all you do is release the grey lever on negative battery pole then pull up termina;...count to 10 then push terminal back on & lock lever

Unlikely to need discs, take it to local quick-fit etc for quote for pads. I respect your un-willingless to do it.Price you were quoted is well excessive!

Trust me (would I lie to you?) I deal with 3rd year warranty every day and it is worth it however I feel the problem lies with salesmen who tell you it has a 3year warranty (car sold so dont care anymore...NOT ALL salesmen are like this though thank god) but if you were told from the outset the ins/outs of 3rd year warranty you wouldn't be so p1ssed off.

2mm is dangerous level, 3mm is better start saving those pennies.

See #3

Could off, tech should always re-tune radio & set clock if required.

Well often the software is at fault in the convergence unit or confused by a file on the IPOD,USB stick etc. I would disconnect battery first then reload software files before I started looking elsewhere.

I prefer the word 'annoying' compared to 'confidence' but we'' beg to differ there;)

9 & 10, Im happy with my mates thanks and went to the gym on the way home from work so I'm good to vent

Did you all go to gym in your car[/QUOTE]

Still can't get the quote thing to work... but thanks for your help I will try disconnecting the battery & see what happens. They can't have tried it as some of my station pre sets are for stations back home which can't be received here!! I agree I probably feel more let down with the dealer service... its clear I have no idea about cars & they are trying to pull a fast one. Tyres are deffo fine checked by my police friend with his little gadget thing... had the front & rear swapped not long ago to try & balance the wear out...

I contacted Fiat who to their credit have been good so far & are getting back to me within 48 hours. Interesting that they say there are no recalls out for the Grande though :confused: The letter was from Stoneacre so god knows what they are up tooooo :bang:

Oh and no I didn't drive to the gym... that would have meant no pints allowed afterwards :yum:

Still can't get the quote thing to work... but thanks for your help I will try disconnecting the battery & see what happens. They can't have tried it as some of my station pre sets are for stations back home which can't be received here!! I agree I probably feel more let down with the dealer service... its clear I have no idea about cars & they are trying to pull a fast one. Tyres are deffo fine checked by my police friend with his little gadget thing... had the front & rear swapped not long ago to try & balance the wear out...

I contacted Fiat who to their credit have been good so far & are getting back to me within 48 hours. Interesting that they say there are no recalls out for the Grande though :confused: The letter was from Stoneacre so god knows what they are up tooooo :bang:

Oh and no I didn't drive to the gym... that would have meant no pints allowed afterwards :yum:

:bang:lol .... lets just forget the quotes for now shall we;)

Stoneacre were subject of this recall thing on another thread (have a search for it), all recalls are listed in the recall sticky (UK models only) however my advice is disconnect battery to see if that helps then take to another garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrmud, ignore your friends they know nothing.
The GP is a budget car, I have one, its done 50,000 miles now and I would DEFINITELY have another.

You do need to look after some things yourself as garages as well as main dealers can rape your wallet. A tip for free from me :-

Dont let things that go wrong go, fix them as they happen.
There is no car made, especially for GP money, that is trouble free.
The biggest difference, as you are finding out is the Dealer network, some are appalling, some are great.
Find a good garage, or a better dealer, use the Fiat contact you now have to do that. (y)

Last edited:
Mrmud, ignore your friends they know nothing.
The GP is a budget car, I have one, its done 50,000 miles now and I would DEFINITELY have another.
You do need to look after some things yourself as garages as well as main dealers can rape your wallet. A tip for free from me :-

Dont let things that go wrong go, fix them as they happen.
There is no car made, especially for GP money, that is trouble free.
The biggest difference, as you are finding out is the Dealer network, some are appalling, some are great.
Find a good garage, or a better dealer, use the Fiat contact you now have to do that. (y)
Totally agree with this Ffoxy! (y) common sense has to be used as well, you can't just blame everything on the dealers unfortunately...

Back