Technical Warning: lowered stilo with suspension cups

Currently reading:
Technical Warning: lowered stilo with suspension cups

minimad99

Driver Extraordinaire
I got round to whipping the front wheels off yesterday to try and see what was causing my knocking on the o/s front. Only when turning right onto uneven surface or speed humps.
Was thinking droplink or track rod end after help from Decks, a big thank you for that (y)

Well after taking the wheel off I found two wear marks on one of the coils.
see attached photo. looks like spring has been on occasion hitting the added Fiat cup thingy. :eek:

Now I must say that i had the recall done when i still had OE springs fitted, i then lowered the whole thing with -30mm Eibach's a while later and just thought i'd leave the recall cups on :bang:

I've now removed the recall pieces of s@?t and the knocking has vanished, i've delibertely gone hunting for speed humps and no knocking at all :woot:

I now PNL mentioned removing them before, i would strongly recommend anyone who has fitted aftermarket lowered springs AFTER having the recall done to remove them.

Attachments

• DSC00132.JPG
    DSC00132.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 112
Attention all stilo owners :)

Listen carfully cos I vill say ziss vonce onely :)

If you are lowering your car with after market springs and struts then you do not need to keep the piece of ornamental hardware known as service spring solution AKA piece of CRAP :)

Please do not dispose of carelessly but thoughtfully and dispose of at a recycling dept in the skip provided ..Signed SCRAP METAL :)

THANK YOU (y)

My car is due a service soon [60k or something :cry:] BUT I will get them to remove them; they only did it recently, when my car had gone in for something else, and I am definitely hearing the odd noise from there come to think of it.

PNL,
It was your original post a few weeks back that made me look, thanks !

STU,
only 3 bolts per each side, whip em off yourself

Chris, if yours really are sitting around, maybe I should buy them off you :)

Because, though PNL may protest, I can't find/afford Eibach springs at the moment - and my original springs are still in there :) looking nice, but perhaps getting ready to snap.

Of course I'm making the assumption that the recall has never applied to us in New Zealand, as I'm sure it hasn't. The closest dealer is 140km away, and to my knowledge there's never been a FIAT recalled for anything. We never have problems, you see... ;)

Cheers,
-Alex

what is this suspension cup you guys are talking about exactly cause i am having problems with my car when i go back and forth (noticed it while parking) and having the steering turn all the way to the right it does a clunk knock sound and wondering if this might be the problem. i also have the car lowered on eibach 20mm springs thats why this is of interest of me. Any more detailed pictures or descriptions?

what is this suspension cup you guys are talking about exactly cause i am having problems with my car when i go back and forth (noticed it while parking) and having the steering turn all the way to the right it does a clunk knock sound and wondering if this might be the problem. i also have the car lowered on eibach 20mm springs thats why this is of interest of me. Any more detailed pictures or descriptions?

Is the 'clunk knock' noise coming from either the offside/nearside front wheels?

Mine did this and on inspection it was the metal disc/plate behind the brake disc fouling when turning left (started as a click but over time built up to nasty sounding metal on metal grinding). Easily solved, take wheel off and the disc/plate can be bent away from the brake disc.

Its this one mate and fiats solution when a standard spring snaps if you got eibach then you dont need them..(y) and look for another problem instead .. of which there are many..;) :devil: yours is probably the drive shafts..

Last edited:
its coming from the right front hand side thats all i can tell. feels like something is coming on contact after a rotation. Took it to a mechanic who couldnt figure out much on the test drive but when i did it he said it might be a drop link. but from reading the symptoms of the drop link in this forum doesnt sound like its that. Ive only noticed it when im stationary and going back and forth while parking and have the wheel locked to the right. I doubt its the c/v joints cause they were replaced 20,000 klm ago.

its coming from the right front hand side thats all i can tell. feels like something is coming on contact after a rotation. Took it to a mechanic who couldnt figure out much on the test drive but when i did it he said it might be a drop link. but from reading the symptoms of the drop link in this forum doesnt sound like its that. Ive only noticed it when im stationary and going back and forth while parking and have the wheel locked to the right. I doubt its the c/v joints cause they were replaced 20,000 klm ago.

Is the 'clunk knock' noise coming from either the offside/nearside front wheels?

Mine did this and on inspection it was the metal disc/plate behind the brake disc fouling when turning left (started as a click but over time built up to nasty sounding metal on metal grinding). Easily solved, take wheel off and the disc/plate can be bent away from the brake disc.

Check this as it only happened to me when on full lock and/or parking.

hmm you think im gonna take a look at it soon but you might have a point but so much fouling? i clean the inside of the wheels and discs well with a lot of water. I just changed the brake pads 200 klm ago but so much fouling while braking them in?

well just checked no scraping of suspension from cups, no break grime on stone guards other than being a little bit too close so i bended them out a bit seemed like the sound lessened i think but had a bit of a hard time to get the noise again will see later on how it will turn out

Back