General Wading depth of panda 4x4

Currently reading:
General Wading depth of panda 4x4

Does anyone know the safe wading depth of the 4x4.
I'm used to just carrying on through regardless in my old Defender, so need to be a bit more cautious nowadays! Lol

I don't know. I managed quite a deep depth in my 500. A puddle which ruined a BMW X1 I literally sailed through.

I would think the panda could go a bit deeper. I'm sure I read the air intake on the 4x4 is positioned higher.

This happened nigh on exactly a year ago.

There was a good discussion on the previous 4x4 which would most prob be relevant here

Last edited:
Looking at it and measuring, I reckon 12" MAX.....in an emergency :)

That seems realistic- once the water's up to the door sills, apart from
leakage and ingress being an issue, the light weight of these Fiats
means they'll be quite buoyant and liable to be swept downstream :eek:

I know from experience (Easter 1998 floods :( ) with my Rover 220SD
(which was repaired, and is still in service- with a friend :) )

Chris

Looking at it and measuring, I reckon 12" MAX.....in an emergency :)

I reckon the A417 a mile south of Stanford-in-the-Vale was flooded
a bit deeper than that tonight :eek:

It looked bad enough to persuade me not to test my Trekking's
capabilities, particularly as I had an alternative route available.

There's certainly plenty of flooding around right now, take care
and don't do anything silly :cry:

Chris

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/299120-panda-4x4-wading-depth.html

my off-road biking past suggests that brief immersion of spark plugs isn't a disaster.. BUT submerging the air intake is.. my bikes airbox had a Duckbill drain..Very similar to the Panda's scuttle drain..,
that's why I get mad at people who cut them off.. pointless then.:(

as stated if there is a gearbox breather then you don't want to be wading for more than a minute or so,
bikes have them also ..BUT they are only there to balance pressures/ save seals ( IFAW ;))
they are NOT sucking air in..!!,
Charlie

Seeing as I've just started researching the new 4x4 I trawled through YouTube for clips on this car.

One, which featured the old 4x4, stated that it could go through water up to 40cm (16") deep.

Not sure I'd want to be the first to put that to the test!

The blurb on the Fiat site does say that the air intake has been raised but doesn't go into any details.

Last edited:
Hi there Triumph. Thought it was about time I wrote something on one of your threads, as a way of thanks.
Over the last year, I have found your posts, pictures and conversations with deeyup, and others, very helpful, interesting & fun.
While waiting for the detailed information about the Cross to be released, I had already hand picked my options due to some of your advice & experiences with ur 4x4. The sliding rear seat for 4 was going to be one of my first picks, a deal breaker if I didn't go for a factory order. I was really disappointed when the Cross was only available with 5seats, i.e. annoying seat belt in the roof and no scope to vary boot/leg room space.
The photos of your off road day were tremendous, orange looked great muddy. I daydream about playing with my Cross like that.
Anyhoo... On the topic of you thread... I found out so much about the Cross while researching it, so here is a cutting from a fiat press release that fits in nicely to this thread.
""Panda Cross is a true off-road vehicle even in the small technical details and protective measures adopted. For example, under body protections with steel shields allow to tackle even the roughest ride, with no damage to the lower mechanical parts. In addition, the intake duct is raised from the ground as much as 739 mm in the diesel version and 711 mm in the petrol version. So the Panda Cross has no difficulty in rather deep depressions, as might happen crossing a ford.""

I guess that I don't have to point out the dangers of trying to traverse moving water.

Only a few inches can sweep the car away.

We had a near fatality near here a few years ago involving a Range Rover, though admittedly the driver attempted to go through a massively swollen ford.

The deepest water (standing, not moving) I have ever gone through was after a flash flood near London where I had the great satisfaction of being the only vehicle able to go under a flooded railway bridge.

I was driving a Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension, pumped right up. (y)

Hi there Triumph. Thought it was about time I wrote something on one of your threads, as a way of thanks.
Over the last year, I have found your posts, pictures and conversations with deeyup, and others, very helpful, interesting & fun.
While waiting for the detailed information about the Cross to be released, I had already hand picked my options due to some of your advice & experiences with ur 4x4. The sliding rear seat for 4 was going to be one of my first picks, a deal breaker if I didn't go for a factory order. I was really disappointed when the Cross was only available with 5seats, i.e. annoying seat belt in the roof and no scope to vary boot/leg room space.
The photos of your off road day were tremendous, orange looked great muddy. I daydream about playing with my Cross like that.
Anyhoo... On the topic of you thread... I found out so much about the Cross while researching it, so here is a cutting from a fiat press release that fits in nicely to this thread.
""Panda Cross is a true off-road vehicle even in the small technical details and protective measures adopted. For example, under body protections with steel shields allow to tackle even the roughest ride, with no damage to the lower mechanical parts. In addition, the intake duct is raised from the ground as much as 739 mm in the diesel version and 711 mm in the petrol version. So the Panda Cross has no difficulty in rather deep depressions, as might happen crossing a ford.""

Hi. Thanks for your message. Glad some of my ramblings were if some use and u liked the pics!
Yes, I noticed the cross is n/a with the sliding seat option. Why for goodness sake its just SO useful and I really would hate to travel 3-abreast in the back of a panda. Its just too damn small back there except for kids.
On the last point, I was under the impression that the 4x4 also had underbody reinforcement and a raised air intake?? I'm sure someone will be able to confirm or otherwise.
I must admit to be very tempted to upgrade to a cross except I'm not very inspired by the colour choices or that rear seat configuration.... Also there is the small matter of the 2015 Jeep Renegade.......LoL

...the dangers of trying to traverse moving water.....Only a few inches can sweep the car away. (y)

Very true. Heard recently of a big, high clearance, 4x4 pick-up that went through a flood less than a foot deep. Trouble was, he was towing a fairly low livestock trailer. Moving water took the trailer downstream, pulling the 4x4 backwards into the river.

Road surface under water can be treacherous. Standing water is quite likely to cover a layer of slippery mud, making it hard for the vehicle to climb out. Flowing water may have brought mud and/or loose gravel. Fast moving water may have gouged out potholes.

Thanks Demic, that was a good video.

It does show the wading capabilities and I was particularly impressed with its ability to come downhill on a wet and slippery track using, I guess, the hill descent control.

Very impressive and it got me thinking about all those poseur 'all mouth and no trousers' crossovers that are on our roads these days.

I wonder what they'd offer if we traded in the Antarctica against a Cross? :chin:

Oh, hang on- it's not my car. :(

Yes, a good advert for the Panda - it's not clear how steep any downward inclines are but, assuming they're not ridiculously steep, I don't think we see the Cross doing anything that a normal 4x4 couldn't manage.

Yes, a good advert for the Panda - it's not clear how steep any downward inclines are but, assuming they're not ridiculously steep, I don't think we see the Cross doing anything that a normal 4x4 couldn't manage.

I agree. And with a dab of power-braking on the steep downhill bits, I am sure the stock 4x4's would be just as effective. That's not to knock the Cross whatsoever (apart from those Ninja Turtle bandana's....), just acknowledge how good the Panda 4x4 is overall.

Back