VW FCA Merger talks

Currently reading:
VW FCA Merger talks

I would like to see Maserati with Ferrari again. Ferrari would like to make more cars but are stifled by their need for exclusivity - why not have Maserati as higher volume exotic brand? I think they'd do a better job than FCA are currently doing - putting off the new models until 2020 and beyond...

If it does go ahead, I think VW will only keep Alfa Romeo, Jeep and Ram Truck (and maybe Maserati). Ferrari (which isn't a part of FCA) will keep on going like today, as a seperate company.
The rest will be killed of.

Added:
and FCA CEO says no http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiat-chrysler-ceo-volkswagen-idUSKBN16M2WJ
My own personal opinion is that with the lack of cash for investment FCAs models will fall far behind - so they need a partner or a merger to compete. VW may save a few badges but in my experience their mass produced models all drive identically - they are not great at engineering brand identity into their cars. An Audi just feels like a VW with a nicer interior. Their styling chief, Da Silva is too conservative and unadventurous since leaving Alfa - with each year the designs are becoming too 'samey' - maybe Ital design will help with this, I don't know. Fiat, as a brand, might be annexed - but it needs a stronger identity for a mammoth concern like VW to keep it going.

The bit I'm confused about is why does VW feel they need to merge with anyone? I know they've took a hit in the wallet over the emissions scandal but can't see why they would want to work with fca?
When Piech was in charge he had a dream of recreating Auto Union. But he's gone now so, I agree, if they are chasing Toyota levels of profit and efficiency I can't see how taking on FCA would be a good idea. They are bloated as it is!

Back