Virtual Machine

Currently reading:
Virtual Machine

Hello all,

Got loads of server at work but one in particular is hugely important that it doesn't fail. I want to virtualise this machine as a back-up should the 'real' one fail.

Is there any software that will 100% mimic the server without having to create a virtual machine and set it up exactly how the server would be?

Yeah that. Just been doing this at work myself.
Stick ESXi 4.1 on a spare machine. Then on a third (Windows machine, connected to the servers via gigabite LAN) install VMWare converter. Then run through the wizard to install the agent on the machine to be cloned. It will take a while but in the end you will have a VM of the server. Make sure your spare machine is powerful enough and has enough storage space (ESXi will need a whole drive - the installer will format the drive).

Yeah that. Just been doing this at work myself.
Stick ESXi 4.1 on a spare machine. Then on a third (Windows machine, connected to the servers via gigabite LAN) install VMWare converter. Then run through the wizard to install the agent on the machine to be cloned. It will take a while but in the end you will have a VM of the server. Make sure your spare machine is powerful enough and has enough storage space (ESXi will need a whole drive - the installer will format the drive).

Thanks for that. Will look into it. Need some new bits at work so will grab a few drives for when i get round to doing this.

Sorry for delay.

We're running Windows Server 2003 at the Mo as its only a file archive server really. Got the NAS BOX for all the other files and folders.

We have plenty of budget but it wont be needed as we have 17 servers, one of which will hopefully take the VM Image to replicate said server.

Back