Technical Vibration when fan kicks in on 500C

Currently reading:
Technical Vibration when fan kicks in on 500C

Is the AC on? Does the vibration happen when the compressor cuts in when at idle, rather than than when the engine is very hot with the AC off?
If the above is correct I suspect the engine idle up function(to increase engine speed with compressing) is lacking? Hence vibration due to too low engine speed/load.

Have you removed the fan to inspect it? That is the only way forward. If you suspect it’s the fan causing the problem then you need to look at it closely front and back, you can’t see one side of the fan while it is in the car.

Hi,
I opened this thread because I heard its a known problem.
Anyway,
I drove about 20 hwy mins. Parked the car engine on and wait for the fun kick and neutral.
Idle no AC no fan about 800 revs.
Idle AC on no fan a bit more. Not reached 900.
Idle with fan no AC, around 800. The car vibrates while fan on.
I won’t take off the fan for inspection at this point.
P.s.
I waited quite long for the fan to kick. More than 5 mins.
Engine temp looks ok in the middle. Didn’t check with OBD2.

Hi,

I opened this thread because I heard its a known problem.

Anyway,

I drove about 20 hwy mins. Parked the car engine on and wait for the fun kick and neutral.

Idle no AC no fan about 800 revs.

Idle AC on no fan a bit more. Not reached 900.

Idle with fan no AC, around 800. The car vibrates while fan on.

I won’t take off the fan for inspection at this point.

P.s.

I waited quite long for the fan to kick. More than 5 mins.

Engine temp looks ok in the middle. Didn’t check with OBD2.

Take it to a good mechanic and see if they can inspect the fan for you. The fan may be rubbing on something. Is it the HVAC fan or the engine fan. On my moms Fiat after about 1 minute with AC on high the ENGINE fan kicks in. Check if the engine fan isn’t rubbing first so you don’t have to take apart a big chunk of the HVAC system to inspect the other fan.

Last edited:
I leave it as is: "if it ain't broke don't fix it.."

Thank you all.
But it clearly IS broke
The fan should have no noticeable vibration when running
For example of the bearing in the fan is failing you wish it seizing and overheating the engine
Or even the bearing in the fan falling apart while it spinning and fan comming off the Shaft allthough less likely

Hi,
I have a 2014 500C Abarth.
Anyone encounter the problem as described here?
https://www.abarthforum.co.uk/500-abarth/vibration-when-fan-kicks-in-on-595-comp

When the Radiator fan kicks, the Abarth starts to vibrate. you can feel it in the steering wheel and the body. When the fan stops, the vibration stops as well.

Thanks.
I have had the same problem in my wife's 2014 FIAT 500 Lounge. It is a known manufacturing defect in the plastic fan that after a few years of use becomes warped and causes the vibration. I've just replaced it with a Denso unit that is far superior in quality to the FIAT product and substantially cheaper. The FIAT parts supplier said that they kept a number of replacement fans in stock because it happens so often. It's funny that this hasn't come up on previous posts?

Back