Technical Vibration at 35-45 MPH

Currently reading:
Technical Vibration at 35-45 MPH

furkick

Hi, I have a problem with my 2008 Bravo 1.9 JTD, When accelerating in 3rd/4th gear at roughly 35-45 MPH the vehicle has a wobble/vibration.

It started happening about a month ago, roughly a week after I had a RH lower control arm replaced due to an MOT failure of: Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn. Note I cannot say that this was the cause nor result of the vibration just a point to note that was the only work done to the car for some time.

I have noted the following when it occurs:
  • Happens after roughly 15 mins of driving, will not occur when the car is cold.
  • If i let off the accelerator the vibration cannot be felt, just normal road vibration.
  • Felt in the seat passenger and driver, the pedals also.
  • Steering wheel does not shake at all.

I had my mechanic look at it last week and he said there is no visible damage/issues with suspension, engine mounts or drive shafts. He did notice that the front tyres where warped as when the car was jacked the tyres where visibly not round, no warp in the alloy though.

Things I have tried:
  1. Swapped the back with the front wheels (No noticeable difference)
  2. Replaced the front tyres due to the mentioned above.
  3. Full tracking and balancing after the tyre change. (Got given a print out and the fronts where way out before).

This has made no difference to the issue unfortunately.

From looking on the forum next thing to try is the driveshafts? Is there anything obvious I can ask my mechanic to check before getting the work done?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi, I have a problem with my 2008 Bravo 1.9 JTD, When accelerating in 3rd/4th gear at roughly 35-45 MPH the vehicle has a wobble/vibration.

It started happening about a month ago, roughly a week after I had a RH lower control arm replaced due to an MOT failure of: Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn. Note I cannot say that this was the cause nor result of the vibration just a point to note that was the only work done to the car for some time.

I have noted the following when it occurs:
  • Happens after roughly 15 mins of driving, will not occur when the car is cold.
  • If i let off the accelerator the vibration cannot be felt, just normal road vibration.
  • Felt in the seat passenger and driver, the pedals also.
  • Steering wheel does not shake at all.

I had my mechanic look at it last week and he said there is no visible damage/issues with suspension, engine mounts or drive shafts. He did notice that the front tyres where warped as when the car was jacked the tyres where visibly not round, no warp in the alloy though.

Things I have tried:
  1. Swapped the back with the front wheels (No noticeable difference)
  2. Replaced the front tyres due to the mentioned above.
  3. Full tracking and balancing after the tyre change. (Got given a print out and the fronts where way out before).

This has made no difference to the issue unfortunately.

From looking on the forum next thing to try is the driveshafts? Is there anything obvious I can ask my mechanic to check before getting the work done?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Hi

I had to replace the inner driveshaft cup on my 1,9 jtd 07. Mine didn't vibrate so bad when accelerating, but it did in speeds of 60-80km/h when the car came under load, for example going up hill. And for what I can remember it didn't matter what gear it was in.

/Thomas

Having exactly the same problem on my 1.9 Mjet 150 in the last couple of days and going to visit my mechanic tomorow. Suspecting on engine mounting. I hope for diagnoses on wensday. Till than...:confused

Back