Very P****d Off!

Currently reading:
Very P****d Off!

I'm currently typing this from my crappy old PC downstairs, as this morning I started the PC in my room up and theres a load of Windows XP files that are corrupted :mad: So now Windows doesn't start, and I can't do a repair install as I don't get the option when I boot from the CD. So I'm having to try and manually repair the files as I don't want to do a fresh install over the top as I have lots of music in "My Documents", along with all my Reason files, which are irreplacable (Please don't start with the should've done a backup talk, I know this already). What makes matters worse is that I was planning to visit Basingstoke Fiat today to see the new Punto and try and rat a test drive, but now I have to sit indoors and mess about with this bloody computer :mad:

custard boy said:
this is why i have windows on a small partition and 2 hard drives so i can format just the windows partition if it goes really wrong

:yeahthat:

Steve

Can't you whip the hard disk out of the dead PC and install it in a working one (as a slave drive, not boot), then copy all your files across?

If it helps you wouldnt have been able to test drive the Grande today as the Basingstoke dealership had it locked in the service bay and couldnt open it up.

Me and Bob went to see it and they kept us waiting for half an hour before telling us that we would have to come back tomorrow :mad:

As for the computer, sorry your having problems dude

H2DaE said:
I didn't think you could access Documents And Settings unless you were logged in under the username from that Windows install :confused:

If you can I could easily wack it in this PC and sort it out that way (y)

That's only if you try to access it from within the OS that the folder belongs to (if that makes sense!).
If you use the disk as a slave then another OS can access the lot, although if its on an NTFS partition the other OS needs to be WinXP, NT or 2000 - Win98 can't read NTFS.

H2DaE said:
I'm currently typing this from my crappy old PC downstairs, as this morning I started the PC in my room up and theres a load of Windows XP files that are corrupted :mad: So now Windows doesn't start, and I can't do a repair install as I don't get the option when I boot from the CD. So I'm having to try and manually repair the files as I don't want to do a fresh install over the top as I have lots of music in "My Documents", along with all my Reason files, which are irreplacable (Please don't start with the should've done a backup talk, I know this already). What makes matters worse is that I was planning to visit Basingstoke Fiat today to see the new Punto and try and rat a test drive, but now I have to sit indoors and mess about with this bloody computer :mad:

bad luck dude(n)

H2DaE said:
I didn't think you could access Documents And Settings unless you were logged in under the username from that Windows install :confused:

If you can I could easily wack it in this PC and sort it out that way (y)

I know this has been answered already but: you should be able to, so long as you are an admin on the other PC. and even if you're not you can probably take ownership of all of the files anyway.

I read that you lose everything in "Documents And Settings". I'm not talking about a Repair, Windows setup won't let me do that for some reason, sees it as an operating system, but not Windows XP. I'm talking about a fresh install over the old one. Just to be safe, I'll put the HD in this machine and copy the files out of D&S

Back