General Very high idle speed

Currently reading:
General Very high idle speed

Shortbloke

Hiya,

Since fitting an induction kit a week or so ago, I've had real problems with the idle speed. It happened over a few days, where the idle speed crept up to 2000 - 2500 rpm, sometimes 3000 after really giving it some! :eek:

This happens when starting up hot or cold, although curiously the revs at idle are less first thing in the morning than starting when hot.

I have checked all the hoses - they are connected as they should be, as I've not had cause to disconnect them.....yet. The oil breather hose is routed into the bob, TB vaccuum hose is blocked off, no deteriorated hoses either.

Plus the engine hesitates almost to the point of dying when accelerating moderately below 3000 rpm.

No reasonable suggestions refused!!

Thanks for your help

Those are symptoms of weak running. I'd check the spark plugs to make sure they're not all white or look like they've been cooked, before you risk piston/valve damage.

The ECU should be shoving more fuel in there to compensate for the extra air but there's only so much it can do. Is this a kit for your precise model (900/1100 etc.) Cinq' or did you just strap on the biggest intake that would fit?

Ralf S.

Sorry for not replying sooner guys - I was expecting to be notified of any replies to my thread and hadn't received any!

Hi, Ralf S. thanks for that - I'll check the plugs right now!!! It's a little something I cobbled together with bits from eBay. I don't know how it stacks up to standard kits - so it's possible that it's flowing too much air then? How do I rectify that then - smaller diameter tube between the filter cone and the bob maybe?

Thanks rallycinq, but that's been well and truly blocked off - I cut it off at the rubber connector on the TB and then plugged it with a wide headed screw.

I know it sounds like I have an air leak as most people I talk to about it say that that's what it is, but no-one has mentioned the possibility of my induction kit flowing too much air. I've checked the condition of all of the hoses a million times and they are all as they should be correctly connected, no cracks or splits. So what would be the best way of reducing the air flow?

Thanks very much for your suggestions, much appreciated

Cheers,

Jamie

ps topic notification set to instant email notification!!

No such thing as too much airflow. The engine sucks*, literally. You only have a problem if too little air available.

You didn't catch the rubber on the throttle lever or something silly like that, did you?

Cheers

D

* I know some of you have turbos.

You didn't catch the rubber on the throttle lever or something silly like that, did you?

Cheers

D

* I know some of you have turbos.

What rubber on the throttle lever? Would that cause high idle revs? Other than that I'm completely foxed - the only thing that really makes a difference is disconnecting the intake air temperature sensor. Any ideas?

Fanks

. Any ideas?

Well, what i would do in this situation is start again.

Remove everything off the throttle body, then remove the TB. Check all pipes for holes or splits 'off the car' ie, remove them if you can. Then clean it all up and re-fit it all. Then see if its the same. Hopefully doing this will pinpoint something. What have you got to loose apart from an hour of your time.

try disconnecting the ecu to reset it, then drive the car. If it runs better and with a decent idle then you have a problem with something like a sensor, most probably the lambda. After a fw miles your fault will come back. You may have noticed that the warning light didnt light too, which also points to the lambda.

this info is just loosely based on my own experiences to date

What rubber on the throttle lever? Would that cause high idle revs? Other than that I'm completely foxed - the only thing that really makes a difference is disconnecting the intake air temperature sensor. Any ideas?

Fanks

The rubber nipple that the inner cable comes through. If that comes off it can stop the throttle closing.

Remove the throttle cable completely from the TB and see if it idles.

Cheers

D

That's true Balidey, I think I'll have to do something like that - or maybe even take it in to a friendly garage to get a diagnosis done as I seem to be going round and round in circles not knowing exactly what's going on in there.

Well, I have tried the old reset potato, but it just revs high again instantly as if nothing had happened.

I'll remove the throttle cable from the TB and let you know what happens......

Thanks all

Jamie

Well, I have tried the old reset potato, but it just revs high again instantly as if nothing had happened.

okdokey, that was just my suggestion. Let us all know how you get on, if you think it may be a sensor related thing, get down your local garage and see if they can put a fault reader on it, GOOD LUCK!!

okdokey, that was just my suggestion. Let us all know how you get on, if you think it may be a sensor related thing, get down your local garage and see if they can put a fault reader on it, GOOD LUCK!!

Yeah, thanks for that - all input is appreciated!

Although I'm starting to think that it maybe a sensor fault that just happened to coincide with the fitting of the induction. Otherwise I'm stumped as I don't know what I've done wrong - fitted a bob with a homemade inlet for the rocker cover breather, silicon tube angled to fit, an extension tube and a cone filter. Block off vacuum pipe to the throttle body for warm air flap thingy, turn original airbox gasket upside-down et voila! PLEASE - if I'm missing something from this operation then let me know!!

I thang you

It can also be your "idle actuator" thats gone faulty, if you look at the TB from above, to the right there is a little 2 or 3 wire electric plug, unplug that and see if its better.

It can also be your "idle actuator" thats gone faulty, if you look at the TB from above, to the right there is a little 2 or 3 wire electric plug, unplug that and see if its better.

Hi, thanks for that - I've already ordered one as all the sensors are behaving and there are absolutely no air leaks. It actually has 4 wires into it and is the foremost of the black plugs attached to the right hand side.

Hopefully this will sort it out, thanks,

Jamie

Easiest way to find an air leak is grab a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the joints if the revs dip you found where your leak is

Well thanks for the suggestions guys, but I found the problem to be a fried ECU engine temp sender (!). Not too sure about the math on that one, but thanks to fixitagaintomorrow my car is idling steadily at 800(ish) rpm. Whatever the weather!

Back