Technical Ventilation fan only works on number 4

Currently reading:
Technical Ventilation fan only works on number 4

k1lk

I've got a Grande Punto 2009 Sound 1.4 and I have a problem with the air ventilation. It only works when its set to number 4 on the dial. 1,2, and 3 does nothing. The aircon is working as well on No 4.

Any idea what it could be? A faulty dial?

Thanks - I think you might be right. I found the resistor thing lying like in the pic on the passenger side - it looks a bit worse for wear. Is it supposed to plug into something? There are 4 wires plugged into it.

Can I test if its working with a multimeter before I just go and replace it and hope it fixes the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20130707_150133.jpg
    IMG_20130707_150133.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 565
That is the heater resistor and will more then likely be your problem! And also if the one in the pic is yours, i would say its way past its best!

Its hard to explain but basically blower speed setting 0 is off and speed setting 4 is on, the inbetween settings 1, 2 and 3 are controled by the change in restance, yours is probably not working as it should, hence only off or on or setting 0 and 4.

The four wires are attached to a multiplug which clips in to the heater resistor, it can be removed. The heater resistor itself goes into the blower motor housing (green bit first) and somehow it will clip in place. If yours was on the floor then it has obviously come out some how which may have contributed to its failure.

As for testing it i cant really offer anything on that one, but heater resistors are only about 15 quid if i remember correctly.

I dont claim to be an expert on this though, so somebody else might be able to step in and correct me, but it is something for you to think about atleast.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. Yes - the pic is of the resistor from my car. It looks long past its sell date!

I'll get another one and pop it in.

Great faq :)

I had exactly the same problem and replaced it. Everything is back to normal now. Unfortunately they are located in a vulnerable position so can be damaged.

Pete

Ordered a replacement and fitted - its working perfectly again now! (y)

Took some measurements of the new one in case anyone wants to know

5 pin connector
Pin 1 - 2: 1.3 Ohms
Pin 2 - 3: 0.7 Ohm
Pin 3 - 4: 0.1 Ohm
Pin 4 - 5: Pins are connected.
Pin 1 - 4: 2 Ohms

My old one was about 1M across most of the pins!

Nice one mate! Hopefully this thread will be very useful for someone else in the future, and thats what its all about!

This is a great forum! I have had the same problem with my air ventilation for at couple of weeks.
Now I know what is causing the problem. :)

Back