General Veg oil in my Ducato Diesel

Currently reading:
General Veg oil in my Ducato Diesel

m4mike

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2000 2.8 Diesel Ducato 2.8iDTT Swift kon Tiki and was wondering if anyone know if I can use veg/sunflower oil in it mixed with Diesel?

I have been doing this for many years on other diesels, my 98 Shogun, and an old L reg 2.5 turbo diesel Ducato with no problems.
Cheers
Mike

Its still a bosch ve pump but the engine is direct injected so you'd probably wouldn't want to run too high a ratio of veg oil to diesel. Hardly worth it with the price of veg oil now unless you're getting it for free.

Veg oils works out £1.00 per litre from Tesco's compared with around £1.37 or so for diesel, quite a saving on a full tank.
cheers

Veg oils works out £1.00 per litre from Tesco's compared with around £1.37 or so for diesel, quite a saving on a full tank.
cheers

At a 50/50 mix what's that, £10 a tank assuming its about an 80L tank.

Question is how much will the potential issues caused going to cost to resolve :confused:

Personally I'd just stick to using proper chemically cut bio diesel :)

I can only speak for my Shogun and my old 94 2.5 Turbo Ducato Motorhome, I've never had any problems at all apart from starting on a cold morning, then I either reduce the amount of veg oil or when it's really cold just use diesel.
The fuel economy is the same, never had to replace any fuel pump seals and it fly's through the emission on the MOT, just wondered if the newer Ducato would be the same, guess I'll just have to try it!
Cheers

I can only speak for my Shogun and my old 94 2.5 Turbo Ducato Motorhome, I've never had any problems at all apart from starting on a cold morning, then I either reduce the amount of veg oil or when it's really cold just use diesel.
The fuel economy is the same, never had to replace any fuel pump seals and it fly's through the emission on the MOT, just wondered if the newer Ducato would be the same, guess I'll just have to try it!
Cheers

Depends on the mileage you're doing and the diesel:veg ratio, the pump seals all go eventualy at 170k-250k miles. Bosch moved to viton seals around 95/96 so probably higher end on the newer ducato. Like said the main difference is no precombustion chamber so you'd need to either run a lower ratio of veg oil or a heater.

Re: Veg oil in my Ducato Diesel (ADDING 2 STROKE OIL)

On a similar subject as anyone tried adding 2 stroke oil to their diesel as i am led to believe it improves running performance.I an running a 2004 2.8 jtd engine in my Autotrail and wish to give this a try as on other blogg sites were told its worth adding.Any thoughts or experiences please.

Cheers
Junk
icon5.gif

Last edited:
Re: Veg oil in my Ducato Diesel (ADDING 2 STROKE OIL)

On a similar subject as anyone tried adding 2 stroke oil to their diesel as i am led to believe it improves running performance.I an running a 2004 2.8 jtd engine in my Autotrail and wish to give this a try as on other blogg sites were told its worth adding.Any thoughts or experiences please.

Cheers
Junk
icon5.gif

Low ash / ashless mineral increases lubricity and should burn completely, don't use synthetic it just ends up in the exhaust. Its basically the same thing as adding dipetane but dipetane may burn cleaner and is dpf safe. In volume dipetane is probably a similar price. Don't believe all the bull**** that goes with dipetance though its just straight run base oil. https://www.dipetane.com/suppliers-uk.html

I have used Castrol mineral 2 stroke oil for the last 12 months.. to be honest I haven't noticed any difference.
But to be perfectly honest I didn't expect to, I added it solely for its lubricating properties to the HPI pump and squirters.

I have also considered adding Castrol "R" as it gives the exhausts on my bikes the most wonderful smell...

Hi all just buying an auto trail 2002 with 2.8jtd engine anyone know / or uses a veg oil mixture best regards colinb.

Cheers
Hi what year is you vehicle .? I am getting a 2002 auto trail 2.8 jtd. COMMON RAIL DIRECT INJECTION DIESEL ? And wondered if I could use a mix,,,,, I have no idea about engines !? I did have a Picasso car quite a few years ago and that had a common rail engine,, and I ran that on a veg oil mix and all was ok with it ,,the mechanic used to say the injectors were a bit messy and nesses cleaning ? But all went well though.......colin

Last edited:
Hi what year is you vehicle .? I am getting a 2002 auto trail 2.8 jtd. COMMON RAIL DIRECT INJECTION DIESEL ? And wondered if I could use a mix,,,,, I have no idea about engines !? I did have a Picasso car quite a few years ago and that had a common rail engine,, and I ran that on a veg oil mix and all was ok with it ,,the mechanic used to say the injectors were a bit messy and nesses cleaning ? But all went well though.......colin

Hi,
Welcome to Fiat Forum.

This is a pretty old thread and m4mike has not posted for 4 years so may not reply.
I'm not aware of anyone running a diesel / straight veg oil mix on a JTD common rail engine. For starters it will not provide adequate lubrication for the high pressure fuel pump. No doubt lots of people will come on and say "it's fine to use veg oil" but looking at old posts many people saying this don't know the difference between veg oil and biodiesel.
I'm not convinced it is even cost effective as it's not a lot cheaper than diesel and you get worse MPG. The calorific content of rpeseed oil is only about 86% of mineral diesel. Then here is more frequent filter changes and the hassle of dealing with it lugging 5 x 5 litre bottles of oil for every fill. If you tour, what is the impact of having a fuel pump or engine failure when far from home?

Not worth the risk in my view.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi,
Welcome to Fiat Forum.

This is a pretty old thread and m4mike has not posted for 4 years so may not reply.
I'm not aware of anyone running a diesel / straight veg oil mix on a JTD common rail engine. For starters it will not provide adequate lubrication for the high pressure fuel pump. No doubt lots of people will come on and say "it's fine to use veg oil" but looking at old posts many people saying this don't know the difference between veg oil and biodiesel.
I'm not convinced it is even cost effective as it's not a lot cheaper than diesel and you get worse MPG. The calorific content of rpeseed oil is only about 86% of mineral diesel. Then here is more frequent filter changes and the hassle of dealing with it lugging 5 x 5 litre bottles of oil for every fill. If you tour, what is the impact of having a fuel pump or engine failure when far from home?

Not worth the risk in my view.

Robert G8RPI.
Hi yep see what you mean I use booker c/c and get veg oil at 15.95 per 20 litres so oil price is not too bad 80p a litre 2weeks back it was 64p a lt so sounds good on paper.. I know that there already is oil in diesel and we all use it if u got 80lt tank I just thought I may be able to use say 10 to 15lt and the rest diesel.. as for . the common rail engine thing ? ? If it’s in the diesel then are we not muckin up our engines by using what they are selling us . .? We don’t have any idea how much veg oil the makers put into the diesel ? Knowing our government if they can pull the wool over our eyes they will .. they are doing their very best to kill brexit ..to go against the people’s vote ! .? Who knows I don’t .. I certainly won’t be taking a chance with my purchase .. hopefully getting it sorted tomorrow auto trail Cheyenne

Hi yep see what you mean I use booker c/c and get veg oil at 15.95 per 20 litres so oil price is not too bad 80p a litre 2weeks back it was 64p a lt so sounds good on paper.. I know that there already is oil in diesel and we all use it if u got 80lt tank I just thought I may be able to use say 10 to 15lt and the rest diesel.. as for . the common rail engine thing ? ? If it’s in the diesel then are we not muckin up our engines by using what they are selling us . .? We don’t have any idea how much veg oil the makers put into the diesel ? Knowing our government if they can pull the wool over our eyes they will .. they are doing their very best to kill brexit ..to go against the people’s vote ! .? Who knows I don’t .. I certainly won’t be taking a chance with my purchase .. hopefully getting it sorted tomorrow auto trail Cheyenne

Hi,
This is the mis-information that spread by the internet. The diesel you buy at the pump does NOT contain vegetable oil.
It does contain a proportion of "bio-diesel", technically fatty acid esters, which is made from vegetable oil (or possibly animal fat) by chemiclly reacting the oil with an alcohol and an alkali.

Even then not all engine and injection systems are compatable. Many engines are limited to a maximum of 20% bio.
Putting raw vegetable oil and mineral diesel mix in your tank is not the same as biodiesel.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi thanx for info animal fat is normally a solid fat ie lard dripping etc palm oil and peanut oil can be / are solid blocks ,,I used to have a chippy in a previous life lol,,,, palm can also be liquid form so I suppose animal fat could also be liquid !?... after saying it doesn’t contain veg oil ,, u say it does contain veg oil ...I’m not talking to Mrs may am I lol...... seriously though unless u are in the industry u can’t really know what’s in it can u ,,,,,, Do u remember the horse meat scam when it came out they were all at it ...wow I would never of thought it could happen in the uk. Wow ...!!! ,,,lol,,, they kept that quiet ,,, they certainly didn’t fool 100% of the population lol..... I worked very near to a company a large company that packed bacon it’s now been taken over by a very large company and the stories I got told about that place would probably put a lot of people off eating the contents of the packaging ,,,,,,so yep I also believe in misinformation on the web ,,,,,, for sure ,,,, like red diesel etc. I think best thing we can all do is keep an open mind ,,,,,,,I’m in cornwall way down and you can often stand outside and sniff the chip shop which is around 4 miles away lol,,, I think there are a lotta people using it ,,,,I don’t think I’ll be one of them though as I don’t intend mucking me engine up just yet ...as I said in my original post I had a Citroen Picasso that drank it mixed with diesel and to be fair it could be a blighter to start on a coldish winter day ,,,not as cold as up north though,,,,,but apart from that she went ok on it,,,,,,but it’s been interesting chatting though ,,,,just don’t believe anything anyone tells ya and you’ll be fine .,,,,,horse meat in our food who would of guessed!! Dartmoor and exmoor ponies were getting sent to France then sent back lol. Have a great evening .....I’m off early to look at the m.h, best regards colin

Bio content in pump diesel is only 7% at the moment. This may creep up as the overall renewable content in fuel is increased by the government.

Unleaded needs completely reformulating once you go above 5%, so most refiners / oil companies are off-setting any shortfall in unleaded bio content against diesel bio content and desperately fighting off any proposal to move to E10 unleaded.

Back