General various Punto problems

Currently reading:
General various Punto problems

Ziggy1

Hello,

I have a few issues with my V Reg 1.2 Punto which I could do with some help with. Some are straightforward i think and some are a bit more concerning

- My wiper linkage has collapsed. I glued a 2p to the bottom of each join and this has served me well for the last 10 months. However, the wipers don't so much wipe but smear the rain all over the windscreen. Plus I keep expecting them to fail. Can anyone tell me the cheapest and easiest way to replace these?

- A month or so again some sod broke into the car by smashing the lock in on the passenger side. I have wedged the lock back in but it is still not secure, also its a pain in the arse because I have no central locking and so can only unlock the door via the drivers side. I have been given various advice from a new lock to filling in the space with filler(which will look crap) any ideas?

- The next night on from the above someone kicked my (manual) wing mirror off. What price should I pay for a new one?

- My water jets for the front windscreen are crap and barely give out any spray?

- When I get in the car and accelerate I hear this kind of whirring noise until I reach a certain speed and it then stops?

- Also when I accelerate (particularly when on a hill start) the car make what sounds like halve rattle/ halve croaking. I have no Idea what this is. I took it to a garage and they said there was no such noise. I have done 500 miles in the last week and the noise is definitely there.

And last but not lease...

- The electrics, which are haywire! Firstly, When I have the the fan on (either hot or cold) it sometimes goes off and the side lights come on! even thought the lights are turned off!!!
Secondly, my indicators are ticking very fast sometimes. This has happened before and I worked out that water had got into the rear lights clusters and caused the connectors on either side have build up on them I scrubbed them and it did the trick. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop water coming in?

Sorry this is so long but any help would be really really appreciated!

cant help with all but.

wipers: very common prob on mk2. you may have to get a new linkage. unfortuantly the linkage and motor come as one large unit. mine cost about £80 from www.shop4parts.co.uk how ever if yours is still holding maybe you just need new blades?

wing mirror: easy to change get a second hand one from a scrapyard about £10 or look on ebay for new one maybe 20-25 i reckon.

water jets: they may just be blocked with gunk. wide the front in the groove using a tissues wraped over something thing you can rub it with, also on side is a scre adjuster for washer high. give that a move up and down to clear any gunk. se e how they are then. if still bad try and get a lil tiny pin and poke in the wholes. i assume the washers are standard soo will have 3 holes on each side. if they still really really bad and it just kinda dribbles out then you may have a kink in the water tube from the resevoir ( had that once on diff car) or need new pump.

The whirring noise may be the alternator belt. Inspect the belt and check the tension. If it looks remotely old or frayed stick a new one in there.

Or it could be the clutch. Does the noise go if you take the revs off and disengage the clutch?

Door lock sounds like you need a professional door repair. A second-hand door may be cheaper, but you'll have to swap all the bits over, so more hassle.

A dodgy connection makes the electrics do all sorts of strange things, as you saw with the indicators. Clean up the fan's fuse and relay connections with some fine emery paper and see if that sorts it. The rear light clusters are sealed with a foam gasket, from memory. Make sure yours are sitting in their channels properly, then they shouldn't leak. You can add a smear of instant gasket to them, if they look a bit old and flat.

Ralf S.

Hello, i have had the same problem with my wipers i tied the arms together with cable ties which has so far worked. If they snap then i am thinking about drilling through the joints and putting a nut and bolt through it. I hope that these ideas might be of help to you.:)

I have a few issues with my V Reg 1.2 Punto which I could do with some help with. Some are straightforward i think and some are a bit more concerning

- My wiper linkage has collapsed. I glued a 2p to the bottom of each join and this has served me well for the last 10 months. However, the wipers don't so much wipe but smear the rain all over the windscreen. Plus I keep expecting them to fail. Can anyone tell me the cheapest and easiest way to replace these?

- A month or so again some sod broke into the car by smashing the lock in on the passenger side. I have wedged the lock back in but it is still not secure, also its a pain in the arse because I have no central locking and so can only unlock the door via the drivers side. I have been given various advice from a new lock to filling in the space with filler(which will look crap) any ideas?

- The next night on from the above someone kicked my (manual) wing mirror off. What price should I pay for a new one?

- My water jets for the front windscreen are crap and barely give out any spray?

- When I get in the car and accelerate I hear this kind of whirring noise until I reach a certain speed and it then stops?

- Also when I accelerate (particularly when on a hill start) the car make what sounds like halve rattle/ halve croaking. I have no Idea what this is. I took it to a garage and they said there was no such noise. I have done 500 miles in the last week and the noise is definitely there.

And last but not lease...

- The electrics, which are haywire! Firstly, When I have the the fan on (either hot or cold) it sometimes goes off and the side lights come on! even thought the lights are turned off!!!
Secondly, my indicators are ticking very fast sometimes. This has happened before and I worked out that water had got into the rear lights clusters and caused the connectors on either side have build up on them I scrubbed them and it did the trick. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop water coming in?

Sorry this is so long but any help would be really really appreciated![/quote]

Regarding your fan and sidelights, this is a common problem on mk2's
Mine did it in the middle of winter i had it on '4' and and on max heat lol. It apparantly overheated a wire which melted it or something.

It just requires a new piece of wire being stuck somewhere under the passenger side dashboard. I forget what it was i did it ages ago using a guide on here which i don't know where it is but i'm sure someone else will know where :)

Back