General variator change..

Currently reading:
General variator change..

right...need my variator change as car is sounding like a diesal...wish i had it done when cam belt was replace about 5 weeks ago...but it didnt sound like a diesal then.. any way i whent to the garage who fix my car when cam belt come off and ask them how much to have variator done..(i supply the variator )..he said about £250-£300 cause all the rollers and tenisoners pulleys and new cam belt would have to be replace again..is this true as i have just had all these parts replace when cam belt come off 5 weeks ago and i have only done 600 miles so far....

if these parts dont need to be replace then thay most be trying to rip me off...so please could peaple who have had to have ther variator give me some good garages to go to get it done....cause the sound of diesal..(i.e) tapping is doing my f**king head in.......

cheers for any advise....(y)

The cam belt parts dont have to be replaced and the head stays on the engine. But, the cam cover has to come off and the exhaust cam has to be taken out.

The garage are just airing on the side of caution as you shouldn't really reuse a timing belt (everything else will be fine, I assume they done the waterpump?). The intake cam does need to be removed but thats no major problem. If I was you i'd just get them to fit a new timing belt to be safe (its a no brainer for the cost of one).

Last edited:
o.k...dave, the guy at the garage mean to replace all parts with new. not just take them off and then put them back.....

hgtbill....i had the water pump change when belt was done....

whitesei....i no you do most of your work your self on you car but
would you no any good places were i could get some prices of get geting this done...................

or any body no a good garages..

Sorry I should have typed inlet cam.

If it was me with a new cambelt and new tensioner I would re-use it. But if being really anal could just change just the belt.

I cant help with your area. But TBH the guys who eventually repaired the engine seemed good. It is a shame they didnt get you to do the variator at the time.

emmm. o.k im just going to see i thay will just do the variator with out replacing the other parts....as these are new any way..

will get a new cam belt tho...

will see wot thay say tomorrow and get back to use..

thanks..

I wouldn't say it was anal changing a timing belt that had already been used (tensioned). Thats how belts snap.

I always thought they failed due to over-use. Thanks for that info...
A snapped belt on an HGT is not good - valves are £20 each and apparently the con-rods can end up bent. not to mention all the incidental parts costs.

Back