Technical Van Aaken Turbo or Novitec Turbo

Currently reading:
Technical Van Aaken Turbo or Novitec Turbo

Hey,

Just curious, which of these is the better turbo, going on visual they are similar but the Novitec conversion looks abit tidier compared to the Van Aaken setup, is this just because Novitec have spent longer making it look good....

Are they the same power turbo or is it a completely different setup, btw this is just research

Regards

Adam

one thing i would say for vad is they use more of the shelf parts.
the main thing being the 2nd injector controller.recently there was a forum member who had a novitec conversion. the novitec fuel controller died and novitec didnt supply that type of box any more so he had no support.cant remeber what way he resolved that one.
at least with VAD its an MF2.

i am posting on behalf of Sam (Firewarrior) cos i asked him but his car was running 16psi which is over a bar but Vad turned it down to 0.55bar normal and over boost 0.8bar and he got 100bhp at the wheels and 125lbs torque, he has no idea what the flywheel power is but he can come along at some point and ans questions, just surprised he didn't put it up himself, slacker that he is!

Oh and that was a low boost converted to high boost by means of a thicker head gasket and Punto GT intercooler and i think tho may not be fitted Punto GT oil cooler as it neatly clips on back of intercooler.

Last edited:
custard boy said:
one thing i would say for vad is they use more of the shelf parts.
the main thing being the 2nd injector controller.recently there was a forum member who had a novitec conversion. the novitec fuel controller died and novitec didnt supply that type of box any more so he had no support.cant remeber what way he resolved that one.
at least with VAD its an MF2.

Are you sure it was a real Novitec conversion or is it possibly one of the Autodelta (not the real Autodelta!) bodged conversions, which were half from Novitec and the other half of AD.

Novitec is A Fiat and Alfa dealer and all their products are accepted by Fiat Germany not invalidating the warranty.

Autodelta was sacked by Novitec (can't state the reasons for legal reasons) and AD most likely would not even try to help.

You can use a www.perfectpower.com SMT-6. Then it's possible to adjust the timing, the standard injector and if you want a 2nd injector.

I think the BHP of novitec en torque is wayyy to high...otherwise why do I have 120 WHP/about 145HP & 178WheelNm/210 crank NM in my cinq with 1 bar (15PSI) boost and a 1.2 engine.

IIRC, you'll have to arrange a little holiday to have the Novitec fitted, as they don't do a DIY kit, unless you get a second hand kit.................

chaos said:
IIRC, you'll have to arrange a little holiday to have the Novitec fitted, as they don't do a DIY kit, unless you get a second hand kit.................

there is an atricle in the latest fast car about a UK company now stocking novitec bits, ill dig it out this afternoon and see if they could do the turbo conversion in this country (y)

TurboCinqy1250 said:
You can use a www.perfectpower.com SMT-6. Then it's possible to adjust the timing, the standard injector and if you want a 2nd injector.

I think the BHP of novitec en torque is wayyy to high...otherwise why do I have 120 WHP/about 145HP & 178WheelNm/210 crank NM in my cinq with 1 bar (15PSI) boost and a 1.2 engine.

I know Novitech for many years and can say with confidence that their figures are not overrated. All their work needs TUV approval, which will verify their power/torque measurements.

Anyway Novitech is a company that does racing, performance tuning and is having dealerships. I know their German main competitors too (Merkur and Engstler). Both of them have a very high opinion of Novitech and their products as I have and strictly speaking they are for me competitor too. Their work is respectable and I have all the confidence that they are stating the truth.

mase said:
there is an atricle in the latest fast car about a UK company now stocking novitec bits, ill dig it out this afternoon and see if they could do the turbo conversion in this country (y)

Novitech's official importer is L&M International You can phone them on

01494 538899.

They are based in High Wycombe.

I have just spoken to them and they can fit the turbo conversion at their base in High Wycombe.

novitech chips in the 20vt blow the engines up(n)
as far as iam aware, due to the injector angle, if you run high boost, it knackers the engine up. thats why VAD ran low boost. proberly going over old ground.:)

sumplug said:
novitech chips in the 20vt blow the engines up(n)
as far as iam aware, due to the injector angle, if you run high boost, it knackers the engine up. thats why VAD ran low boost. proberly going over old ground.:)

Are you sure it was Novitech? This sounds more like AD or knowledge of a certain DB.

Oldschool said:
Novitech's official importer is L&M International You can phone them on

01494 538899.

They are based in High Wycombe.

I have just spoken to them and they can fit the turbo conversion at their base in High Wycombe.

Ah L & M I believe that there are thought of in a good light by the integrale fraternity, an they are a fickle bunch so if they did the work i believe it would be done to a very high standard.
Oldschool said:
I know Novitech for many years and can say with confidence that their figures are not overrated. All their work needs TUV approval, which will verify their power/torque measurements.

Anyway Novitech is a company that does racing, performance tuning and is having dealerships. I know their German main competitors too (Merkur and Engstler). Both of them have a very high opinion of Novitech and their products as I have and strictly speaking they are for me competitor too. Their work is respectable and I have all the confidence that they are stating the truth.

I also agree that the Novitec power figures will be very accurate as if anything the Germans due to the TuV approval will under estimate outputs slightly to ensure that they are not deceiving people. Have also heard of Merkur as they also do Lancia stuff.
sumplug said:
as far as iam aware, due to the injector angle, if you run high boost, it knackers the engine up. thats why VAD ran low boost. properly going over old ground.

There have been many many discussions on reasons why VAd no longer do the hi boost kit, i.e. reliability problems, correct setting up issues, but the most common reason ventured and one which was relayed to me while speaking to VAd when i first got my car as i wanted to find out more about the conversion was that the guy who really knew the FIRE engine and helped develop the hi-boost kit it had left and his technical knowledge left with him, therefore to ensure the quality of the products that they sold and not have many warranty claims on wrongly set up or poorly built cars it was discontinued so as to preserve the reputation of the company's name that they had built up.

Aaron.

Back