Technical Valve stem oil seal replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Valve stem oil seal replacement

899man

Hi everyone.

I am a newbie to this forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I own a 899 Cinquecento and I get a little oil burning on startup. It's not excessive, but it's just annoying (and embarrassing if the neighbours are watching)

Can anyone tell me how easy a job it is to do the seals? I know for a Ford CVH engine there is a spring compressor tool that makes the job a LOT quicker and easier - is there something similar available for the 899? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

dave said:
same tools yep you get 1 bit that goes in spark plug hole to pump air in an hold valve up. another to compress spring, saves taking head off like in the old days

Thanks! There's an air pumping bit?! When I did it before, I just made sure the piston in the cylinder I was working on was TDC and I lowered the valve gently onto it to keep it occupied while I did the swap. I had one close one though where I mistook the piston for being right up....

LOL, the seals that came off that engine were like charcoal.

Is there a cheap source for these tools which you know of?

if you dont want to folk out for the tool or take the head off you can put some quality string(quality) not nylon stuff down the spark plug hole and when you cant get any more in then possible you bring the piston up to tdc and it will do the same job as compressed air

It only takes about 45 minutes to get the head off an 899, and if the stem seals are away there will be a build up on the back of the valves which could do with cleaning off. Might as well give it a decoke while your in there.

Cheers

D

rallycinq said:
It only takes about 45 minutes to get the head off an 899, and if the stem seals are away there will be a build up on the back of the valves which could do with cleaning off. Might as well give it a decoke while your in there.

Cheers

Years ago garages used to keep redex by the pumps it was 1d a shot and has enyone done the redex treatment ie-1x egg cup of redex in each pot and let it soak for a couple of days :eek:

rallycinq said:

Cheers

D

Thanks for that, I'll do that when i get some time (and a gasket set!).

Back