Technical Valve Shims

Currently reading:
Technical Valve Shims

JoeGT

Seb2 Punto GT3
I need to reshim my punto gt3. I'm just wondering if its possible to get hold of some tools to push the buckets down to get the shims out? Any help would be appreciated.

To push the buckets down you can bend a flat blade screwdriver and push it in between the bottom of the camshaft and the shim. This is how I did my Stilo jtd recently. The picture below is of the original Fiat tool made for the purpose which is also available from Laser Tools for about £17.

Holding the bucket down while you remove the shim is different problem. I've done it on Fiat twin-cam engines and on my jtd by placing a screwdriver between the camshaft and top edge of the bucket but the edge is quite small and it's easy for the screwdriver to slip off.

I've never seen the hold down tool available from anywhere other than Fiat. You could make one from a 'C' spanner but I've now bought one for the jtd engine from Fiat for £15. I'm not sure if it would be the same one for your Punto though.

Dave.

Attachments

• Shim Tool.jpg
    Shim Tool.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for the detailed explenation. most helpful!. I'll se what i can do. (y)

Just found the tool looking through a fiat workshop manual. 1860642000 - "Tool used for retaining valve whilst removing shims"

Its somthing like £20 according to eper, but it says under 'Family' 'RA06 Special tools for workshop'

Does this mean there not available to the public?. :bang:

Back