Using WiFi

Currently reading:
Using WiFi

Public Wi-Fi spots are great - I use them a LOT on my travels! I just wish there were a few more in the big cities! I'm surprised there aren't any at the university though!

Ahh i'm in a shared house you see. I've downloaded from the BT Openzone site a very useful excel spreadsheet of all the hotspots in the countey.. but while i my house today it seems there's someone in the street with a wireless network, because i'm connected to it, lol...!

Anyone know about these things? What's the chance of them noticing?

It's difficult for him to notice, I connected to one in my area for 30 seconds to see what it was about. People don't understand sometimes how to set up basic MAC filtering or WEP passwords. I assume you're breaking the law however.

Dunno, the guy that's got a wireless network in the area... It comes and goes but tends only to be on in the evenings... so I'm guessing it depends whether or not this person has his/her internet on...

Paul you would assume I was breaking the law... :p

However I've never heard of anyone being taken to court for connecting to someone else's wireless network - if he doesn't make it private it's his own fault...

It's the same as putting a TV in the front window - would passers-by be breaking the law by looking at it?

what about these officially set up wireless signals that you pick up in train stations etc? how are they paid for? so if you want free internet, ditch the wires??? lol

Back