Using a phone whilst driving on TV

Currently reading:
Using a phone whilst driving on TV

I've noticed that on several documentaries lately, whilst filming, people are using their phones whilst driving.

E.g. a guy on the programme said "she recieves tons of calls from the media now" then it pans across to her driving whilst on the phone, whilst holding it and looking at it too.

Just wondering, how do they get away with this?

It annoys the f*** out of me if im honest.

One programme i saw it on was Ian Brady: endgames of a pscyopath.

Two days ago my son called me from work. Someone had been hit by a Tesco van right outside and was trapped underneath it. The man, in his 30s was shouting for help for a while and then stopped. The air ambulance came.

Witnesses said that the van came tearing round the corner at stupid speed, there were no other cars on the road and he mounted the pavement, hit this poor guy and then came to a stop when he hit a fence post with the man trapped under his van, my son said only the top of his head was visible.

Apparently these van drivers are frequently seen driving whilst on the phone, although its uncertain if this driver was - but how on earth do you end up speeding, mounting the pavement and hitting a pedestrian if you are paying attention to what you are doing?

The air ambulance was not needed - the man died.

http://greenford.ealinggazette.co.uk/2012/08/pedestrian-dies-after-serious.html#more

I've noticed that on several documentaries lately, whilst filming, people are using their phones whilst driving.

E.g. a guy on the programme said "she recieves tons of calls from the media now" then it pans across to her driving whilst on the phone, whilst holding it and looking at it too.

Just wondering, how do they get away with this?

It annoys the f*** out of me if im honest.

One programme i saw it on was Ian Brady: endgames of a pscyopath.

Yeah I saw that too, not that I'm defending this particular arse but if clarkson had done that there'd be people outside his house with pitchforks and torches.

I'm always amazed how many people for whom driving is a livelyhood don't invest in a hands-free. Although I suppose you can't check Facebook on a hands-free which people must do while driving as its the only explanation for some of the things you see.

It just pisses me off how can they get away with it just because they're on television.

Yeah I see it everyday and sometimes there's no police around, but being filmed whilst on the phone in a non-emergency situation, to me that's 100% solid evidence for 3 points and a £60 fine.

@FionaB I actually can believe a guy on the phone could do this. This is nothing in comparison, but towards the end of a parkway on my way back from work, a guy in a huge Jag was inches away from pushing me into the curb simply because he wasnt concentrating and started drifting over lanes...he was also on the phone.

I don't really want this to turn into a mobile phone whilst driving discussion, I just want to know how they can get away with it on tv.

Apparently these van drivers are frequently seen driving whilst on the phone, although its uncertain if this driver was - but how on earth do you end up speeding, mounting the pavement and hitting a pedestrian if you are paying attention to what you are doing?

Fell asleep? Medical condition? Illness behind the wheel i.e. heart attack

Last edited:
... It annoys the f*** out of me if im honest ...

The TV or film clips I find irritating are those showing a driver that maintains eye contact with their passenger for endless minutes without looking at the road. US films are the worst. (OK, so they’re filmed off the back of a trailer).

In real-time I get really hacked-off with cyclists riding on the pavement & then operating a pedestrian crossing!

I havent seen one so could this thread be changed to a 'what annoys you most when driving' thread?

on topic, are there any legal obligations to filming people whilst commiting crimes etc? not so much crimes, but traffic offences.

@Caravadossi haha yeah i know exactly what you mean!! and then its always so obvious they're pretending to turn a corner..makes me cringe.

well for me its business men/women.

not all obviously, but when im driving down the parkway on the way to work, ill be matching the speed of the car infront and behind me comes a big range rover with a big fat ba***** business man thinking that getting as close to me as possible is going to get him to work quicker. On the other hand though, his face when he tries and undertakes but fails when a car is going slower then I am is always pleasing

edit: cannot find anything on the internet regarding being on tv and commiting a traffic offence with no problems.

Last edited:
well for me its business men/women.

not all obviously, but when im driving down the parkway on the way to work, ill be matching the speed of the car infront and behind me comes a big range rover with a big fat ba***** business man thinking that getting as close to me as possible is going to get him to work quicker. On the other hand though, his face when he tries and undertakes but fails when a car is going slower then I am is always pleasing

edit: cannot find anything on the internet regarding being on tv and commiting a traffic offence with no problems.
Totally agree with that, business men/women who drive a lot in big cars and think they have more priority over you. Or the typical 'white man van' I know it's bad to stereotype and they're not all bad but occasionally you just see the most ridiculous maneuvers they make and they think it's totally ok because they spend so much time on the road. -_-

One of my subscribed channels...

Love the comments...
"why did u need to put it on youtube. And i don't think this person killed anyone. How would you feel if he was also a doctor and giving instructions to save a relative of yours" (I often see doctors driving autoparts vans!)

Or

i wonder why people feel they have to jump to the defence of the wrongdoers.

Last edited:
Which reminds me...
Mobile phones and in-vehicle technology

You MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. You MUST NOT use a hand-held mobile phone, or similar device, when driving or when supervising a learner driver, except to call 999 or 112 in a genuine emergency when it is unsafe or impractical to stop. Never use a hand-held microphone when driving. Using hands-free equipment is also likely to distract your attention from the road. It is far safer not to use any telephone while you are driving or riding - find a safe place to stop first or use the voicemail facility and listen to messages later.

[Laws RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3 & CUR regs 104 & 110]

Yet whenever you watch the cops on camera type shows, they are speeding along, blues & twos going & the driver is providing commentary on his shoulder mic - even when they are 2-up in the car.
OK, I appreciate the need to provide a running commentary - but why is it not possible for all police cars to have, for example, an emergency button on the car's radio which records the commentary as well as broadcasts it (leaving the shoulder radio free for incoming stuff)?

sludgeguts - another perfect example of film evidence with no prosecution! I bet you are not allowed to pursue a prosecution with film evidence like the above - providing it wasn't done whilst they were driving the car lol.

the reason it annoys me so much it that innocent people are often accused or mistaken for being on the phone whilst driving, whilst others are livin it large on tv chatting away like its nothing wrong.

Actually something comes to mind, I watched a program ages ago about a gang in prague that actively trafficked girls into the country etc etc, but the reason they couldn't get done for this was because they signed something with the filmers to basically say "everything we say and do is not prosecutable" - something like that I can't remember. The same sort of thing where you see Ross Kemp go to places and they say "yeah we killed whoever" but have never been done for it.

Maybe its the same with the phone?

Makers of TV drama always strive to make their characters believable - so using a mobile phone whilst driving certainly ticks that box, unfortunately.
As for non-drama, if there is clear evidence that somebody in a documentary has committed a driving offence, and it is brought to the attention of the police, presumably charges could be brought? (Unless you are Chris Huhne of course).

Makers of TV drama always strive to make their characters believable - so using a mobile phone whilst driving certainly ticks that box, unfortunately.
As for non-drama, if there is clear evidence that somebody in a documentary has committed a driving offence, and it is brought to the attention of the police, presumably charges could be brought? (Unless you are Chris Huhne of course).

yeah this was a documentary. not dramatised one bit. the reason it annoys me so much is that a policeman thought i was once using the phone but was 100% mistaken..as you can imagine a lot of s*** happened as a result so when it is clear as day as it was on the program, it annoys me lol

Back