Used to love Ebay. Now I DONT!!!

Currently reading:
Used to love Ebay. Now I DONT!!!

Ive been trying to sell my punto on Ebay. And to get a few more people looking at it I put 'like saxo fiesta clio' in title ( its not ;) ). With 2 days left I got a message telling me it had been with drawn due to spamming :bang: . Ive payed my listing fee, how is doing that going to heart them. Plus about 70% of cars on Ebay have titles like that anyway. It really has p***ed me off, they arent going to lose anything with me doing this :mad: So Im still stuck with this punto, no one seams interested and I dont know why because its a cracking little motor and way too good to break! Oh well rant over :(

You're searching for specifically a punto, do you want a load of random cars coming up? No! It's in the rules aswell.

Found a very similar (spelling) punto to mine with spamming going on, and as Im in a mood Ive been an arse and grassed them up :p. Yeh I know that sucks but Im angry at the moment :mad:

Ebay seem to be tightening up on those kind of listings. There was that listing (linked on a thread somewhere on here) for a Chavved up Metro that was all done in humour, and Ebay decided that because p/ex was mentioned that they'd withdraw it.

To be honest I can't see the point in putting other car models in a listing. If I want a Punto, I will look for a Punto. If anything it's infuriating when you look for a specific car and get a load of other models come up in the search as well.

If I want a Saxo I'll go to B A R R Y B O Y S.COM!

1986Uno45S said:
To be honest I can't see the point in putting other car models in a listing. If I want a Punto, I will look for a Punto. If anything it's infuriating when you look for a specific car and get a load of other models come up in the search as well.
I couldn't agree more.
Especially when you've spent hours trudging through stuff to find something you are looking for and it turns out it's not really the item you thought, it's really annoying and to be honest I would disregard the car even if it was what I was looking for out of principle, so if others have that attitude it may well be reason enough why the car didn't sell.

Have you tried selling it on Pistonheads ? I got loads of enquiries when I sold the VXR through them and it's FOC.

Hiding the identities, is probably the single worst idea ebay have ever had.
Sad but true, ebay has become a shillers paradise. But what do ebay care of that, higher sale price, more on the FVF.

It won't stop the scammers, one of my buyers got a spoof for a £5 item, luckily she emailed me and I got her to change her details as she had used the fake sign-in page...not as easy as it sounds when she only spoke French :)

But I think the buyers are leaving, I am nowhere near as busy as last year. And have been considering getting a job and leaving it behind.

What with the fee increases, Royal mails price jump and buyers receiving junk from poor sellers, there is only one way for ebay to go really :(

key word spamming is annoying, but you cant expect ebay to monitor the content of all listings, or even most of them. it would take hundreds of people to check every listing, adding a lot of cost to ebay fees. you cant complain if the rules arent fully enforced, unless you're willing to fund it, i know i'm not.

if you're a key word spammer you have to accept that once in a while someone will report your ad and it will be removed. you cant complain, if you break the rules its your fault.

i dont see the problem either way.

i've been listening to ebay bubble bursting stories for many years now. fact is more people buy and sell more items on ebay that ever before and it is still growing in the UK. yes the costs are increasing for sellers (and buyers), but that is because ebay has been so much more profitable than many other markets, and why should all the profit go to sellers when it is ebay who make the sales possible.

also consider the effect a lack of competiton has on ebay, they can charge almost whatever they want because there is no alternative. the buyers go to ebay so its worth paying to get your products onto the ebay market. it costs you to sell, but you sell for more, so it is worth it. consider the cost of opening a shop, and the market exposure your products would have in a shop, in comparison ebay fees are still an absolute bargain because you can sell from home to anyone any where (plus its tax free :)). if they doubled the fees it would still be the best (most profitable) option for most sellers.

if ebay costs continue to increase it will make it easier for a competitor to enter the market. ebay wont want to put their fees up high enough for that to happen. if they do it will mean thier fees come back down to kill the new competitor. ebay's fees will be controlled in one way or another, thats the beauty of market forces.

i think a competitor will come along in future. ebay isnt like microsoft, its quick, easy and relatively cheap to create an ebay alternative. if ebay fees keep rising eventually someone else will happily do it for less money. i dont think that would hurt ebay, but it will keep their fees in check.

Last edited:
also consider the effect a lack of competiton has on ebay, they can charge almost whatever they want because there is no alternative. the buyers go to ebay so its worth paying to get your products onto the ebay market. it costs you to sell, but you sell for more, so it is worth it. consider the cost of opening a shop, and the market exposure your products would have in a shop, in comparison ebay fees are still an absolute bargain because you can sell from home to anyone any where (plus its tax free ). if they doubled the fees it would still be the best (most profitable) option for most sellers.

I can see what you are saying, I agree with a lot of it, esp the world wide window....and I used to say all the other arguments to people myself.
But can't agree with it all, when I have been a PS for the past 3 yrs and now I am feeling the pinch...

When ebay get good competition...I will be a happy bunny as it won't take a lot for me to jump ship.

dave said:
probably psc grassed him :p

Oi...cheeky! :p

Back