Urgrading Subs

Currently reading:
Urgrading Subs

You shouldn't you have 2 different subs running in the same enclosure.

If you really want to upgrade, spend some decent money on a single 10" or 12" sub in a decent box (sealed or ported depending on taste).

Look at going second hand too, I have a £400 sub in my car that I paid £140 for, it's 10" and drops lower than a snakes belly yet is still amazingly musical.

Yeah second hand is the way to go, it means you can get something in your price range thats better than anything you can afford thats brand new.

Also go for a ported box if you want "hard bass with no distortion" I have a mutant 12" in a ported box, gives lots of juicy bass.

Just to prove that 2nd hand is better, I have a 12" 600W (max watt, unsure on RMS figure) sub in a ported enclosure, four channel amp, brand new in box and a wiring kit all for £80 :D Just shop around until you find something.

Sealed Enclosures

A sealed enclosure is the easiest subwoofer enclosure to build, and generally gives good performance with most woofers. Transient response (the woofer’s ability to quickly respond to changing program content) is excellent, power handling is good, and low frequency extension is good. Overall sound quality is generally very good.

Ported Enclosures

Performance of Ported (or Vented) enclosures, can exceed that of sealed enclosures. Generally, you will get 3 dB higher output, deeper response, and higher power handling characteristics above the box tuning frequency. Ported boxes are more difficult to design and build, and should be used with a high pass filter to avoid woofer damage.

Does that not say that ported enclosures make the woofer appear more powerful and give a better bass performance:confused: Reaper asked for something that gives hard bass, surely a ported box is the better choice if your going for pure bass rather than crisp quality.

Theres 2 different subs in one box because i bought it all together for cheap so didnt have a choice. I guess if its that kind of money i will just leave it as it is. Its good enough for me :cool:

i will keep my eyes out for some decent subs second hand. Any recomendations?

Does that not say that ported enclosures make the woofer appear more powerful and give a better bass performance:confused: Reaper asked for something that gives hard bass, surely a ported box is the better choice if your going for pure bass rather than crisp quality.

What it's telling you is that a sub, when ported, generally handles the power given to it more efficiently, i.e. it needs less power ported to give a similar SPL readout to the same sub sealed, so in that respect, you're right. In terms of SPL, ported tends to be the way to go, so again that's right. But, you can get 'hard bass with no distortion' via a sealed sub - the definition of hard bass varies from person to person; you can certainly get decent bass from a sealed enclosure. It also depends on the sub being used - some subs are better suited sealed (and will not work at all well ported) and vice versa. Just saying 'go ported' is too generalistic - lots of other things need to be considered.

Back