Technical Upgrading the master brake cylinder

Currently reading:
Technical Upgrading the master brake cylinder

You are all right, the whole fly-by-wire thing and the ECU's "I'll do it for you" stance are pissing me off. You can left foot brake if it's just to push the pads back to the disk, but after a second or two, it kills your throttle. You can still heel and toe to rev match but if you want to left foot brake on snow, the ECU will kill it soon. And yes, the overservoing makes for very little modulation, especially while trying to brake softly. That's definitely not what i want to achieve, hence i'm not looking for a bigger servo. However, it's always a compromise between pedal travel and brake power modulation, and i could live with my current brakes being a little less modulated :D

What would be a proper way to see if the MC is good or bad?
I guess i'd try to pump the brake pedal, see if it falls to the floor after some time or something like that?

push the pedal, hold it down, then let up and quickly repress and hold. do that a few times and then see if it slips further down at all.

also they can turn your brake fluid black / dark when they go as the seals drop to bits and contaminate it

Just an update: before replacing the MC, i figured it wouldn't hurt to bleed the system one more time, and i have to admit that i must have bled it somehow badly last time, because it worked now and the pedal is stiff as it can be. It's a small difference, but i really notice it while heel and toe-ing.

While i was under the car, i adjusted the handbrake cable, so now i have brakes that are as good as they get on a sei.

I can't understand what i could have possibly done wrong the last time. The only thing i did different was that i bled the rear calipers on the car (didn't take them off and put them at an angle like i did last time -- it looks like the bleeding nipple wasn't actually the highest point when i bled the brakes yesterday, so i don't know if any air could escape like that, but whatever happened, it's just perfect now. Good to hear, because i don't need to buy a new MC now... except if i were to do an upgrade ;)

Last edited:
Back