General update on my mkll

Currently reading:
General update on my mkll

hey all just thought id keep you posted on how im getting on with my 5 dr mkll uno.

things to do are

alloys (bought from scappers and refurbing £100)
front bumper (bought £10 scrappers) paint
rear bumper (repair/paint)
bonnet (repair/paint)
n/s front door (repair/paint)
n/s rear door (repair/paint)
o/s front door (repair/paint)
o/s rear door (bought £20 scappers)
tailgate (repair/paint)
boot carpet (clean/strenghten with wood)
carpet (rmove and clean)
centre console (paint?)
seats (clean/repair)
mouldings (paint)
roof trim (refurb)
roof (repair/paint
front wings (paint)
rear quarters (repair/paint)
weld boot floor
weld section of floor n/s
radiator cowling (bought £2 scappers)
cam cover (NEED!!!!!)
seat brackets (refurb-paint graese)
gasket set (needs ordering)
distributor (new from fiat)
vacum (new from fiat)
water pump (new from fiat)

il keep you all posted on my progress

sy

a couple of pics to show you why i had to change my rear door and my replacement.

sy

Attachments

• 26062007-1.jpg
    26062007-1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 26062007.jpg
    26062007.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 28
thats alot of things to do, my list is only like 3 things lol
Central Locking, Core Plug Replacement and bodywork

btw if i was you id buy a water pump off ebay brand new! i did and its great :)
at a cheap price to i think i payed £14 including P+P

theres not that much work reallymost of the work i can get done over a weekend or if i had a week from work i could prob do everything all at once.

Il word all of the above to shorten and make things alittle simpler so it doesnt sound as bad!

full respray
clean interior
paint wheels
paint interior parts
welding
fit new parts

sy

A diesel or 1.1i I don't think it makes a great deal of difference. Find a cheap old UT and lavish that with a restoration, atleast you'll have a decent car which might be worth more than £250 and could potentially become a decent viable classic.

HEY! stop putting a downer on the poor lad! if he wants to fix up a smaller Uno, all the power too him!

Not everyone wants sporty cars, but they can still like Unos

there wont be any lesser Unos left soon ;)

HEY! stop putting a downer on the poor lad! if he wants to fix up a smaller Uno, all the power too him!

Not everyone wants sporty cars, but they can still like Unos

there wont be any lesser Unos left soon ;)

I lightly restored a Mk1 Uno 45s only last year, should have used it to reshell a turbo (y) apart from 1 patch on the offside rear turret the car was as clean as a whistle. I'm all up for restoring a decent car but make it one of the special ones not a run of the mill Mk2 1.1 of which there are still thousands left, I see loads everyday. Not something which can be said of a Mk1 UT. I've got a couple of Strada Abarth and even though there were only 600 or so sold in the Uk there are still a reasonable number left, all be it in various states of decay therefore I can't see the little Uno becomes rare anytime in the near future they shifted over 100,000 of the things.

I lightly restored a Mk1 Uno 45s only last year, should have used it to reshell a turbo (y) apart from 1 patch on the offside rear turret the car was as clean as a whistle. I'm all up for restoring a decent car but make it one of the special ones not a run of the mill Mk2 1.1 of which there are still thousands left, I see loads everyday. Not something which can be said of a Mk1 UT. I've got a couple of Strada Abarth and even though there were only 600 or so sold in the Uk there are still a reasonable number left, all be it in various states of decay therefore I can't see the little Uno becomes rare anytime in the near future they shifted over 100,000 of the things.

who says hes doing it beacuse its rare?

he might just like the car?

I say good work doing up a normal Uno, we need more people like you :) a non-turbo Uno is great fun to drive (personally I dont like turbos...) and the simplicity of working on the non-turbo cant be over stated.

A fuel injected 1.1ltr uno is, in my opinion, the ideal uno for day to day driving. And because there are more of them around, they are easier and cheaper to keep running (and to insure).

I made my car a 1.6ltr Uno (rather than a turbo) because I still manage to get about 90+bhp with lots of torque and the power delivery is constant and satisfying. Last week I beat a modified Uno Turbo and a BMW 320i on the Taupo race track. Turbo is just all wheel spin and sudden (uncontrolable) power.

Good work, keep us informed.

I say good work doing up a normal Uno, we need more people like you :) a non-turbo Uno is great fun to drive (personally I dont like turbos...) and the simplicity of working on the non-turbo cant be over stated.

A fuel injected 1.1ltr uno is, in my opinion, the ideal uno for day to day driving. And because there are more of them around, they are easier and cheaper to keep running (and to insure).

I made my car a 1.6ltr Uno (rather than a turbo) because I still manage to get about 90+bhp with lots of torque and the power delivery is constant and satisfying. Last week I beat a modified Uno Turbo and a BMW 320i on the Taupo race track. Turbo is just all wheel spin and sudden (uncontrolable) power.

Good work, keep us informed.

Who feel like a bad boy for think that doing up a 5 door 1.1 was a waste of time. Carry on chap. Anyone want a nice challenging Strada Abarth as a project?

Some of us just don't like junking cars. I am going to spend about $600-1000 on my $300.00 1300 84 Mk 1 Uno. New shockies, panel and paint work some rust around the sunroof. Terrible design, and rust in the bottom of the doors. RH side are the worst, so will do them first. However nothing is bad enough to fail a WOF.

Ever worked on a Strada :) Absolutely agree with you on the junking cars, I don't either. I saved a mint Tipo GT which was due to be scrapped. The chap had been quoted £600 to pass the MOT, I took it off his hands for scrap value and fixed it with £75 worth of parts and only the £50 exhaust was needed for the MOT, it then sailed off to a new owner and will hopefully stay serviceable for the foresable future. I've got a rusty strada sitting on my drive, most would strip it for parts, worth far more than I paid for it, and scrap it but I'm determined to return it to the road for someone else to enjoy. It's my perspective on it I suppose I'm looking at it from a is the car a bit unusual and will it return a financial gain or atleast break even. A mint Mk2 5 door is going to be worth £300 at best. A mint Mk1 UT could achieve a couple of grand. Obviously if you don't care about the cash, like the car and are doing it just because then why not. The Mk1 Uno I mentioned early I did for the fun & experience, covered my expenses but definately not all the time I spent working on it!

Anyway good luck on the resto, looking forward to seeing the progress, always like to see these threads.

hey all just thought id keep you posted on how im getting on with my 5 dr mkll uno.

things to do are

alloys (bought from scappers and refurbing £100)
front bumper (bought £10 scrappers) paint
rear bumper (repair/paint)
bonnet (repair/paint)
n/s front door (repair/paint)
n/s rear door (repair/paint)
o/s front door (repair/paint)
o/s rear door (bought £20 scappers)
tailgate (repair/paint)
boot carpet (clean/strenghten with wood)
carpet (rmove and clean)
centre console (paint?)
seats (clean/repair)
mouldings (paint)
roof trim (refurb)
roof (repair/paint
front wings (paint)
rear quarters (repair/paint)
weld boot floor
weld section of floor n/s
radiator cowling (bought £2 scappers)
cam cover (NEED!!!!!)
seat brackets (refurb-paint graese)
gasket set (needs ordering)
distributor (new from fiat)
vacum (new from fiat)
water pump (new from fiat)

il keep you all posted on my progress

sy

If you want to save yourself some repair work on the doors etc, I am breaking a very solid mk1 5door uno 70sx, and I'm not far from you! (Harrogate) All doors except o/s/r are rust free, and there are many excellent bits on car, inc good sx interior and good 1301cc running gear! If you need a list, prob better to e-mail me on [email protected] Regards, Chris

Back