update on my cars!

Currently reading:
update on my cars!

Bought that engine for the punto 1.7td and collected it this morning! all looks good so far. My uncle that is fitting it was going to be doing it tommorow so ive been running round like a mad woman allday getting the engine and trying to get the car towed to him. Only for my uncle to tell me when i had finished that he wont be doing it tommorow so will have to wait till next sunday. Annoyed after all the effort but Hopefully it will be back on the road next week!

on another note, my Older brother travelled from wales today to look at my pug 306 that i blew up in the first place. Didnt even know he knew a thing about mechanics but he said he might be able to fix the pug so let him try. Didnt think he had any chance of fixing it all by the sound the engine was making and the smoke etc but if he wanted to have go, he couldnt make it any worse!
Well he spent most of the morning/afternoon on it while i was fetching this engine. He came up with its fixable! Apparantly ive only bent one valve. My list of parts to find are: camshaft, camshaft mount far left, cam belt kit, 1x valve and diesel filter housing. Once ive got them, he will fit them.

so if everything goes to plan, I may well have two working cars!
then i will have a dilemma as one of the cars will have to go to pay off the debt these cars have cost..........

I want to keep the punto but itd be practical to keep the 306. purely because Of the trouble fixing it in the future! The punto will be very difficult to get parts for but Its my overall favourite!

Alot of parts are available of places like shop4parts, whole engines arent though. Also some can be rescued off other models (and other car manufacturers too even sometimes, like thermostats).

Difficulty with parts you had this time is you needed a whole engine and they can be like rocking horse droppings for some models.

i was actually wondering whether parts could be taken from a petrol punto? I know there are a lot of those in scrapyards lol. I know obviously i couldnt take anything diesel related but otherstuff like steering parts if i ever i needed to and body work stuff, would they be ok? If so, Ill be keeping the punto and hoping i dont need another engine!

i was actually wondering whether parts could be taken from a petrol punto? I know there are a lot of those in scrapyards lol. I know obviously i couldnt take anything diesel related but otherstuff like steering parts if i ever i needed to and body work stuff, would they be ok? If so, Ill be keeping the punto and hoping i dont need another engine!

All the body panels, glass, fitments etc are the same sizes across the range especially if you stick to the same trim levels, but most is compatible all the way through.

The only incompatibilities, as you said are to do with fuel system and some of the core engine components, the diesel radiator can be taken off a 1.9 and put on a 1.7 for example (or bought new), power steering/steering columns should be the same, brakes are easily available new etc etc :)

well in that case, i would definately be keeping the punto because thats my favourite. My only fault is the interior as its not electric and i dont like the plastic headrests, prefer the cushioned ones. But from the 2 hours driving i managed in it, I fell in love with it and it didnt sound like a tank like the 306 did.

p.s. like my sig lol, took me ages to do that and work out how to post it!

well in that case, i would definately be keeping the punto because thats my favourite. My only fault is the interior as its not electric and i dont like the plastic headrests, prefer the cushioned ones. But from the 2 hours driving i managed in it, I fell in love with it and it didnt sound like a tank like the 306 did.

p.s. like my sig lol, took me ages to do that and work out how to post it!

The chairs can be swapped for ones with movable headrests with a little work (unbolting and rebolting basically (y)), which model did you get? the 1.7TD S? I know electric windows are available on some trim levels and can be transfered (more work than the seats but doable, I'm looking at doing it).

I haven't photo-shopped a sig, haven't had the inclination or the time with Uni but yours looks good and simple (I had noticed it :D)

Edit: Seats and door card components are specific to the number of doors your vehicle has, like my door cards and seats wouldnt go in your car as mine is the 3 door and yours is the 5 door

Last edited:
well I do need to get something done with the interior cause it really is poor and very basic. It is the 60 s version.

Im trying to drum up a list of what i need. Top on my agenda will be to sort the locking system out. There is no central locking on it and some of the handles stick when you open them which is very unsafe! Dont want a door swinging open halfway down the road becuase the handle hasnt been pushed back in!

You men will probably OH NO!! but im pinking it out (as was my pug) with pink seat covers and other accessories that i already have taken out from the pug. so you wont be able to miss it on the road lmao. If i had the money id have a nice pink celtic type pattern imprinted on the bonnet or roof too but that would be spoiling the car too i suppose.

need to change those headrests but it if means changing the seats then i might have to stick with them for a while. Untill i get back in the car and examine the inside thoroughly when i give it a valet, Im not sure what else i want to do yet.

EDIT: meant to say that i only used paint to do the sig pic lol. nothing fancy!

If the headrests appear to move then you can just swap them out (or should be able to)

60S is the base trim model and there are central locking kits out I just aren't sure where to get one from, you may need to give the mechanism a good clean if its acting up!

Pink you say? So long as your happy with it (y)

My list of parts to find are: camshaft, camshaft mount far left, cam belt kit, 1x valve and diesel filter housing. Once ive got them, he will fit them.
a scrapyard 306 head will sort the cam and valve issues out for a totla cost of £50, then a new timing belt is only £10-20. there is no point stripping the head to replace a valve and cam when it will only add cost and difficulty to the job.

I thought a new cam would cost well over £100 from a scrappy? not that ive looked into it yet. my problem would be getting to a scrap yard to take a cam off with no transport and no one to take it off at scrappy. the men there just let you get on with it and dont help

it depends what the scrap yards are like, the best ones around me will take something off the car for you without slashing pipes etc if you ask them to nicely over the phone at an agreed price and go pick it up later, whereas there are a couple that will tell you where to go if you suggest such a thing as to be organised!

I thought a new cam would cost well over £100 from a scrappy? not that ive looked into it yet. my problem would be getting to a scrap yard to take a cam off with no transport and no one to take it off at scrappy. the men there just let you get on with it and dont help

you dont want the cam, just take the whole head instead. the guys at the scrapyard will remove it for you. i've had it done more than once. never cost more than £75 in total.

UPDATE: My punto is nearly done! My uncle who is fitting the engine has nearly done it, he has taken the old engine out and put the new engine in over the course of friday and today (sat). I will be going over in the morning 10am to watch him do the finishing bits of wiring the lot together!! must remember to take the new oil and filter and all things going well, I should have it back and on the road tommorow!!! yay!!

The peugeot however isnt very further forward although ive just had a very nice bloke travel all the way from london to bring me an engine tonight and my uncle will hopefully fit that too.

Yay!! im in a very good mood!

Back