Technical Uno Turbo water in cabin!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Uno Turbo water in cabin!!!

PerfectV

My Mk1 Uno Turbo has developed a leak. When it rains water is getting into the cabin behind the glove box on the lefthand side of the car, and onto the fuse block. It seems to have already messed with my rear wiper and demister.

I had an '86 Uno 45 that had the same issue but I never worked out where it was coming from. This is slightly more important as the car is worth a bit more and is in perfect nick otherwise.

Any ideas? I'm thinking (or hoping at least) as it's happened in 2 different cars it might be a common thing that is easily fixed.

First place I'd go for...

At the back of the engine bay behind the bulkhead is the cabin fan intake, with a hole each side just about big enough to fit a skinny arm down.

at the bottom there should be a large drain hose, but on previous Unos I've had theirs been a build up allsorts of organic matter. Maybe yours has got so bad that it's blocking the drain, so the water takes the next available exit (through the footwall heater channel)

I'll give this a go but the water seems to be coming from the wheel arch/pillar area.

I shoved my hand up in the mess of wires and it came out wet.

After having a look last night it the drain was surprisingly clear. The water coming is isn't coolant an it only comes in when it's raining.

Looks like it could be coming in the seam below the windscreen. I'm going to spray hose at it to see if I can get an idea.

I'll get some pictures of the drip if I can't just seal it up.

Last edited:
Looks like it could be coming in the seam below the windscreen. I'm going to spray hose at it to see if I can get an idea.

I'll get some pictures of the drip if I can't just seal it up.

I think it will probably be the windscreen seal itself. The best solution is probably to remove the windscreen and clean the rubber seal, spread some black neutral-cure silicone sealant on it, and refit with the rope technique (remembering to clean up the excess silicone sealant using mineral turpentine).

Failing that, look carefully around the rubber seal for any gaps against the body or against the glass. Clean under the seal by wiping with a rag soaked in methylated spirit, then squeeze some silicone in there. This saves the risk of breaking the windscreen when removing, but obviously isn't quite as thorough.

-Alex

Cheers Alex. I was thinking the same but couldn't find any signs, couldn't hurt though (unless I smash the screen)

I've now got a strong smell of unburnt petrol after drive. It never rains

My Mk1 Uno Turbo has developed a leak. When it rains water is getting into the cabin behind the glove box on the lefthand side of the car, and onto the fuse block. It seems to have already messed with my rear wiper and demister.

I had an '86 Uno 45 that had the same issue but I never worked out where it was coming from. This is slightly more important as the car is worth a bit more and is in perfect nick otherwise.

Any ideas? I'm thinking (or hoping at least) as it's happened in 2 different cars it might be a common thing that is easily fixed.
mine's doing the same and pretty sure it comes from the air box to bulkhead weld..as rain passes down the box to the drains, there is a join to the bulkhead..reckon a tiny rust crack is letting it in..am investigating too with a hosepipe!
over the years it's rotted out the floor of my 1985 turbo!
all can be fixed..why do we do it??

sorry forgot to say, Alex mentions the screen, my shell is rotted in various places too around the screen, so that's a good spot for water entry..will be investigated also

I had a small leak when it rained really heavy a few months back,i traced it to the screen, there are voids in the corners which i filled with the screen inplace, very easy like alex says just have the white spirit,turpentine,panelwipe ready, for the excess, just press the nozzle first around the glass to rubber, then around the rubber to body, not a drop since
i used a flexible 3m non hardening windscreen sealant, Ant!

"I had an '86 Uno 45 that had the same issue but I never worked out where it was coming from. This is slightly more important as the car is worth a bit more and is in perfect nick otherwise"

Same Problem! Same car!

Solution

Water gets into the airbox, gets down via a hose down to the ground. This is how it normally drains

If the hose is absent, Water falls on the gear rod, which takes into the passenger foot well, through a damaged boot, which is hidden below the plastic cover, behind the front console,which houses the music system. Replace boot, Problem solved. By the way, I am not able to source that boot for my car here in India. I will appreciate help to find a similar part, since my precious uno suffers from the same issue. I have made a temporary solution by placing a different boot and tightening the same, but in heavy rains the problem recurs.

I am not an auto guy,hence, you may find my auto terms a little confusing.If you need more help, I will reply with pictures.

Love
Arun

I found the solution...

Move to a place that has covered/secure parking. Works a treat, haven't had a leak since!

Back