Technical Uno Turbo Conversion to X1/9: questions

Currently reading:
Technical Uno Turbo Conversion to X1/9: questions

TeraFox

Hi,

This is my very first post to this forum.

I am working on an Uno turbo conversion to an X1/9 and have run into a couple of problems partially due to an incomplete set of UT parts and the rest due to the fact that I do not have an appropriate manual for an Uno turbo.

I have come to realize that I am missing:

The bracket for the crank angle sensor,
The crank angle sensor itself,
The flywheel sensor,
Whatever Fiat installed on the flywheel to generate a signal,
The MAP "switch," apparently located where the CSV would fit in an FI X1/9,
A wiring diagram for the ignition and fuel systems.

Can anybody help with any of this?

Above is a pic from another user here demonstrating the position of the flywheel sensor, but it doesn't really help me locate the sensor (should I find one) in a 5-speed bell housing. **EDITED: CAN'T POST URLs YET...***

The "questions to answer":

1) What is the relative positioning of the gap in the 60-2 reluctor wheel and the crank angle sensor at TDC?

2) What did Fiat install in the UT flywheel to generate a signal with the flywheel sensor?

3) What is the relative positioning of the flywheel and flywheel sensor at TDC?

4) What is the PN for the flywheel sensor?

5) What is the PN for the crank angle sensor?

6) What is the PN for the manifold pressure switch located in the intake manifold?

7) Can the UT crank pulley with reluctor be installed on a 1987 X1/9 with AC?

8) Does anybody have some wiring diagrams scanned or in .pdf?

9) Does anybody here have any of the parts I have asked about?

10) How, if necessary, can I identify whether my components are MKI or MKII, should that be necessary for parts acquisition?

Big start here, with lots of questions. Thanks in advance!

Welcome!
The fiatforum gives you access to an online parts catalogue, eper.fiatforum.com
There you may find helpful information about the mk2 UT.
If you search online you may also find a Haynes manual of the Uno as a pdf. Although incomplete, it's still helpful, as it has information on the mk1, I believe.
Regarding the flywheel sensor, it acts as an engine speed sensor by counting the teeth of the flywheel. The ignition is triggered by the TDC sensor, which sees a notch in the pulley.

Last edited:
So, does the TDC sensor need to be timed to the reluctor wheel?

Forget what I wrote previously. UT used two different ignition systems: microplex for the 1.3, and digiplex for the 1.4. Refer to pages 86 to 92 from the Uno manual for details. The bottom line is, the digiplex system uses only the flywheel for engine speed and TDC, while the microplex uses the flywheel and crank pulley. Therefore the 1.4 should have a flywheel with five pins set at 90º to each other, while the 1.3 should have a crank pulley with some sort of reluctor. You should figure out first of all which engine you have.

The 1.3 system is actually two separate systems, the microplex part runs only the fuel injection. The digiplex system on the 1.4 runs ignition *and* injection hence the ability to use a single trigger.

I was under the impression that both the 1.3 and 1.4 used Bosch L-Jetronic injection systems.

I do believe that Microplex is ignition, not fuel. The UT system I have on hand is Microplex, so it must be a 1.3L. As said above, fuel is Bosch L-Jetronic.

This is pure supposition, but I would guess from what I have read above that Digiplex is a licensed copy of a Bosch Motronic system such as what was used on FI Yugos. In Bosch terminology, Jetronic is their name for any fuel injection system (K-, L-, LH- D-, etc...) and Motronic is their name for an integrated engine management system (fuel and spark.)

Aaanyway... It sounds as though I am just using flywheel teeth. At least that part is solved. Well, except for knowning if the 1300 UT flywheel has the same number of teeth as the X1/9's 1500 5-speed flywheel. If the system is counting teeth to read engine speed, having the correct number of teeth is going to be important.

The L-jetronic system is analogue, the system used on the 1.4 is digital (LH-Jetronic I think) and triggered by the Marelli Digiplex system as far as I know (it could be the other way around). The main point is that it is digital, the analogue Microplex/L-Jetronic systems in the mk 1 version couldn't share a trigger.

Can somebody please confirm: MKI = Microplex = flywheel teeth (not pins) for RPM reading?

Does anybody have detailed pictures of or specifications for the reluctor wheel for the crank position sensor? I either need to buy or functionally duplicate the UT reluctor because I don't have it. Ignition is really my only hang-up and I need to move this project forward.

Back