Technical Uno sudden cut out

Currently reading:
Technical Uno sudden cut out

Hi,

I have a (common) problem with my Uno cutting out without warning :eek:. It runs perfectly for about 20 mins driving and then just dies. Won't restart for about half an hour while it cools down or resets itself (or that's how it seems), and when running again cuts out after only a few more minutes.

Change the electronic ignition module I hear you all shout! :D. Well I have done along with recently fitting new HT leads and spark plugs. Also, a new distributor cap and rotor arm and substituting a different coil but no difference.

In one of the earlier threads with the same issue (started by UnoMia), replacing a sensor in the distributor was mentioned but not sure where what this looks like, or if it is likely to be the culprit.

The engine turns over and almost fires up so wondering if it could be a fuel problem, such as a clogged fuel filter, worn injectors or fuel pump on the way out :confused:. (mIne is the 1108cc engine with single point fuel injection). Also the vacuum advance unit but is this more to do with uneven idling?

Any thoughts or ideas welcome - the list of possible causes is quite long judging by previous threads but at least I have covered a fair number already.

Cheers,

Andy

Last edited:
it really sounds like the breakerless module that sits on the backside of the distributor did understand if you changed that one already... Well they are a usual fault like described by you, my suggestion get the original Magneti Marelli on the net you should find for 30 bucks or so

hi there i have the same problem my uno idles for 10minutes and then just cuts out and after n few seconds it starts again and when i drive for n5-10 metres it just cuts out again ,any suggestion of any one that had the same problem that can help me fix this :bang:

IF you´ve got the BOSCH or WEBER single point injection ,
it´s most likely that the Butterfly valve sensor is worn out.
Try to get a working one as there is no repair choice on this part.
The MCU will get puzzling Signals which makes it go to shut down status.
Reset the whole system after replacement by shortening the battery + wire to the - for a minute. Then start the engine without interruption until it starts.
Let it run until the fan starts twice.Don´t forget to check the filters and spark plugs. As you don´t want the MCU to tune on a bad system.
Good luck Jo

Mine did that too. Cut out and cool of or reset itself. Engine was too hot.So I tested the thermostat first. It didn't open so I clean it. And I checked the fan if its goin on at time. My problem is solves now. My suggestion is let the car idle till the fan starts and feel the thermostat hose.if both works the sudnt cut off.

Re: Uno sudden cut out (update)

Hi

My problem with suddenly cutting out was eventually pinpointed to a faulty pick up sensor inside the distributor :). The electronic components on the sensor itself (not the separate finned ignition module) were overheating after about 20 mins causing the cut out before cooling down and allowing the same thing to happen again. Tricky to diagnose as symptoms are similar for the ignition module, perhaps the most common fault.

You can replace the electronic pick up sensor individually (part is on ebay, for example), substitute from a second hand dizzy (which might otherwise be unusable) if you can get hold of one as pretty scarce these days, or buy a complete new unit (ie distributor, vacuum advance, module etc) from say, Shop4Parts - don't forget the 10% discount for Fiat Forum members :D.

Cheers,

Andy

Fiat Uno fire 1100 facing problem of blowing module frequently what can be my fix around this problem

Fiat Uno fire 1100 facing problem of blowing module frequently what can be my fix around this problem
This is an old thread. Are you buying aftermarket modules?
If you've been buying decent modules, it's possible your coil primary winding has shorted, reducing its resistance and is overloading the module's transistor. I don't know what the correct resistance value should be, but it's usually a few ohms.

Back