General Uno keeps cutting out

Currently reading:
General Uno keeps cutting out

Peterg

Hi Guys
My J91 Uno 60s 1108cc keeps cutting out on idle. I have to increase the idle speed adjustment to a high tickover rate to keep it running. Even then it runs a bit rough seems to misfire. I was advised a year ago that the vacum advance unit was leaking, I went to get a new one and was advised they only sold whole distributor units. Could this be the only problem I have to sort it out.
Thanks for any input
Pete

This "Only sell the whole distributor unit" thing has come up before. The vac advance units are available seperately. Is yours the Marelli or the Ducellier distributor?

A failed vac unit on its own will not cause the problem you describe.
Rgds, Pete.

Hei.

I don't think it's possible to adjust the idle speed on this engine. How do you actually do it? If you have tightened the throttle cable you have to loosen it again. When released, the throttle cable will strike a button-like thing on the injection module / throttle body. This will tell the ECU your engine is idling, and deliver it half the amount of petrol. As a result your engine will enjoy idling, and it won't stop at the next red light! To improve idling even more, dismantle the injection unit. Clean it and reassemble using new cramps or clamps or whatever the English word is for the fuel hoses.

Morten.

Today: Abarth alloys. Inter Alloy lowering. Phoenix Gold & Kenwood stereo.

Projects: Abarth / Momo steering wheel, K&N induction kit, racing seats, exhaust, door refurnishing, window tinting.

Hello Morten.
This car is a 1991 on a J plate ( subject to confirmation of the VIN number ) so it will be carb not SPI, so it is possible to adjust the tick over speed with the screw on the carb provided for this purpose.

The SPI versions in UK came in in 1992 on the K plate.

Best regrds Pete.

Ooops. Sorry.

Don't think any Mk2s with carb. reached Norway. At least I've never heard of any - might be wrong there as well .:I:I:I

Morten.

Projects: Abarth / Momo steering wheel, K&N induction kit, racing seats, exhaust, door refurnishing, window tinting.[/size=6]

Hei.

As I've now made two unimportant posts, I can as well make the 3rd. Just trying to make this signature thing work. See the error on the last post? Hehe.

Morten.

Projects: Abarth / Momo steering wheel, K&N induction kit, racing seats, exhaust, door refurnishing, window tinting.

Hello Morten.
No problem, always pleased to hear from you, regardless of the importance of the post.

Rgds, Pete.

Thanks Pete/Morten for your replies. I will have a look tommorow to see what type of distributor I have. I took off the distributor last week to check for corrosion, however after consulting my Haynes maual it says I should make sure the flywheel is alingned so that no 4 cylinder is firing before I take it off. Will this in intself cause it to tick over rough?
I drives fine when I accelerate just coughs when it idles. Maybe clean/renew the points? It sounds like the engine is running a weak fuel mixture as it idles fine on a cold choke start.
Any more input gratefully accepted
Pete

Back