Technical Uno 70 lowering springs

Currently reading:
Technical Uno 70 lowering springs

Hi folks.

I've recently replaced al for shocks on my Uno 70 (91) and added MTS Supsension lowering springs. I really like the look of it but is very unconfortable. I used lowered springs on stock shocks before, cinquecento en punto mk2, and it was fine. Has anyone experience with a other brand of spring on standard replacement shocks?

Hi folks.

I've recently replaced al for shocks on my Uno 70 (91) and added MTS Supsension lowering springs. I really like the look of it but is very unconfortable. I used lowered springs on stock shocks before, cinquecento en punto mk2, and it was fine. Has anyone experience with a other brand of spring on standard replacement shocks?
The problem with any lowering springs is they are either the standard springs shorter which makes for a very hard ride or if the spring rate is softer so you are more likely to bottom out, We have lots of speed bumps here(sleeping policemen) and you often see lowered cars weaving all over the road trying to miss them.
Stiff and short springs mean it is harder for the road wheels to stay in contact with the road. Look at off road cars and motorcycles some have over 12 inches of suspension travel , but handle well because the wheels are in contact with the road all the time or a lot longer, a wheel cannot stop or steer if it is in the air;) .
I agree some lowered cars with good wheels look really cool, OK for posing, but I like a car to handle as well, plus as you have found the uncomfortable ride issue. Your choice:)

Ran a 1992 Uno for thousands of miles way back in 2009 on APEX lowered springs and standard shocks
I would describe the ride as HARSH
NOT back breaking
We went on a Banger Rally from Liverpool to Lisbon [Portugal] and back, fully loaded with camping gear with no problems
Uno.jpg

Ran a 1992 Uno for thousands of miles way back in 2009 on APEX lowered springs and standard shocks
I would describe the ride as HARSH
NOT back breaking
We went on a Banger Rally from Liverpool to Lisbon [Portugal] and back, fully loaded with camping gear with no problems
View attachment 410925
No problem on good roads and makes for nice responsive handling. When I was young I had cars that were lowered, wide wheels, negative camber front ends, almost open exhausts, always getting pulled up until I realised it was possible to drive just the same but in a standard looking vehicle and not get unwanted attention ;).

When I was doing motor sport (track days and sprinting) in my Uno SX I fitted:

Sachs Sporting Suspension Set Nr.84 1500 118 029 (Kit 1217)

Tyres were upsized to 185/55R13 Tyres. (185/60R13 are OK as well). These are the largest size you can put on an Uno on Alloy wheels - Type 01B7 B, 5J * 13 H2 ET45

It was a really good road / track compromise. With regards to handling and speed then on AROC Track / Test Days Michael Lindsay would come on the tannoy with something like "there is Nick really flying again in his Uno Turbo". Oh I wish :) I had to keep reminding Michael it was only and Uno SX with 46BHP at the wheels.

Back