Styling Uno 1.6 Twin Cam Turbo .

Currently reading:
Styling Uno 1.6 Twin Cam Turbo .

Hi All,

:eek: Did anyone else see the Uno Turbo wi 1.6 Twin cam Tipo -[Edit Lancia]- engine on E-bay last week :confused: I forgot to watch it in My E-bay – now its vanished :bang: .

I would appreciate the link (y) I might also go down that root :cool: lol.

Regards All,

Last edited:
Thanks M8!!!

Edit UKp £675.00 is that all - I'm Gutted!!!

Attachments

• f5_1_b.jpg
    f5_1_b.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Something doesnt look right about it though :confused: i cant put my finger on it.

Is that a fairly simple conversion to do? When he says the driveshafts need connecting it sounds like that could get complicated.

Hi Chris,

Some things missing are the battery, wash bottle, radiator, VIN Tag, bumper trims… so it don’t look right to me nether lol.

I reckon this car was never a 1.4 turbo. The heat shield / sound proofing thingy (back of engine bay) is the wrong colour? On the Mk2 Turbos I’ve seen its Silver. Hear they’re the same colour as mine (999 fire). 0 and the paint between the front and rear side windows should be black?

I don’t know if it’s easy to do let alone possible to finish. It’s a first for me -to actually see a 1.6 twin cam Uno TBH. It’s probably a harder swap than dropping a normal Uno turbo unit in. there’s probably more things to accommodate – and less free space around the engine…

Regards All,

Hey Louie,

The silver bulk head you're talking about is just a cover. Standard Uno's often had black, whereas the turbo had heat reflective silver to deflect the heat from the turbo engine as it runs much hotter. Maybe the seller just removed it?

Not sure about the paint bewteen the front and rear windows. I thought all turbos were black too.

Maybe when the seller describes it as a turbo it's because it has a Lancia turbo engine. However, he describes it as an Integrale, yet if he is talking about the Delta Integrale as far as I'm aware they only had 2 litre engines. Then again, I think he meant only the turbo unit is from an Integrale.

It could be an engine from a Lancia Delta turbo (the NON Integrale model), which could be had with a 1.6 litre turbo engine.

Looks like the seller has done a lot of work on it already, and that thing should sure fly when it's finished. Saying that, the driveshafts and exhaust could cause major headaches to sort out, not to mention the gear linkages. Maybe the Lancia gearbox is totally different to the Uno's?

I doubt if any standard Fiat parts would fit, though it's possible. The work left to do on it could work out rather expensive and time consuming, though if it gets finished it would be one very quick car.

Be nice if someone on the forum bought it and could update the board on how it was completed. It would be a real street sleeper that could terrorise super cars :)

Chas

I dont think that chassis came from an uno turbo because it looks faded for one compared to the wings, grille and boot, more likely its a mixture of an uno turbo bodykit and a standard uno body with a different engine. I've heard of a fiat twin cam engine but cant remember what car its from. This one is probably out of a Lancia Delta Turbo. Probably would be fast top end but 0-60? hmmmmm not sure to be honest, due to the extra weight of that engine but who knows!
I used to have a 1.6 toyota corrolla twin cam GTI and that used to FLYYYYYY until some **** drove into the side of it! :(

F R O $ T Y

Hi Frosty,

I'd spotted the non-uniform fading too...

Good point about 0 - 60 - Maybe one day ill follow your root instead dropping in 1.4 UT block. I reckon its much easier - and cheaper.

Thanks for the input too Chas .lol.

Thanks everyone…

right, well i bought a side skirt off this guy and i looked round this car. it is a proper uno turbo as far as i could tell lads. i didnt see under the bonnet tho as it was dark. looked fairly smart and i love the little number plates :D

bargain for £675 if you ask me

Dunc

p.s. he also had a intergrle (spelling), a w reg vectra which was stripped out for some reason (which conserned me lol) and a full on mint car trailer.

The engine fitted to the modified Uno looks like the old Fiat/ Lancia twin cam. They were (I think) available in 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 litre variants. I remember them being fitted to Fiat Mirafioris, Strada Abarths, Lancia Betas, Gammas and probably a few other Fiat/ Lancia models.

The engines in the Tipo 16 valve and Delta Integrale Turbos were based on this same engine, though I'm not sure if any of the parts are shared as the later engines were substantially upgraded.

It would make a great swap into the Uno, because despite it's larger capacity it should be lighter than a standard Uno turbo engine. This is because the Fiat twin cam is all alloy, whereas only the head on the Uno turbo engine is alloy (the block is heavy cast iron).

The twin cam was very popular amongst hot rodders back in the 80's/ 90's as it's a compact engine, light, and gives good performance as standard. They can be tuned to give much more power quite easily.

Also, back in the 80's/ 90's most old Fiats/ Lancias that had come fitted with the twin cam had simply rusted away, so there were a lot of good engines being pulled from rusty shells and transplanted into other cars. Probably the story behind the engine in this Uno!

It was also a popular swap into the Morris Minor, I kid you not! Check out Street Machine/ Custom Car magazines of the 80's/ 90's.

Just thinking, if you can get the old 1.6 twin cam into the Uno, then the 2.0 16 valve Tipo engine should go in too. Now there's a thought. A 2.0 litre 16 valve Uno. Very tempting......!

Chas

Back