General Ultimate Panda Rally thread

Currently reading:
General Ultimate Panda Rally thread

yellow911turbo

I imagine most of you are "get back and forth" type of Panda owners, but maybe some of you, like smokeme, are more of performance Panda owners. He is into turbos and such, but I am thinking about something a little different. I am interested in dirt rally.

I've got some ideas of my own, but I was wondering what others have done and/or what others know about making a front wheel drive Panda into a rally-worthy vehicle. Here are the things that are currently on the to-do list:

rerun brake lines inside car
rerun fuel lines inside car
underbody protection
taller springs
bigger/better tires
bigger/better tires
bigger/better tires
even more weight reduction (if it's possible)

I'm sure that I'm forgetting something but this is basically it. I will try to keep this thread updated as I do work on the car. Pics and videos will be coming soon. Thanks to all for advice and suggestions.

Cheers,
Serge

Seam weld all the "spot welded" seams.

Fit a roll cage.

Fit a five-point seat belt.

Fit a brake servo.

Get somebody else to drive it...

pictures!!!

I do not plan on putting in a rollcage as this is not for competition but for fun only and I am trying to keep the costs at a minimum. Five-point seatbelt would require racing seat(s) and I do not plan on doing that unless I run across some really cheap ones. The brake servo may come in handy if we were doing road or at least more dirt racing, but we're doing mostly gravel for now. On these roads (as you can see from pictures) using the brakes is pretty tricky as it will put you in a slide quite quickly. The brakes are good enough for now. I'll replace the drums with rotors if it comes to it and then I'd install the servo. Not sure if I can find someone that would spot weld for a decent price but that's a good idea. I'd also like to custom design a stress bar for the front and possibly the rear. What springs could I use to raise teh car 2"-3"? It's already got decent ground clearance but a little more wouldn't hurt.

John H, I'm puzzled as to why I would let someone else drive it?
Kevin, here are the pictures you requested.

This is from 1st October. The oil pans took some beatings but no holes yet. Still running relatively strong. I have what I believe to be a vacuum problem and Nacho (in the red Panda pictured) is having a carb problem as posted in https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=17572 We have some videos made also, but there will be better ones. I'm currently trying to come up with a site name and once I do, I'll host them there.

Take care everyone,
Serge

Re: pictures!!!

yellow911turbo said:
John H, I'm puzzled as to why I would let someone else drive it?

Serge

TIC.

BTW, the picture needs to be host online somewhere,
then posted up like this

[ I M G ] h t t p : / / i m g 5 . e x s . c x / i m g 5 / 5 7 9 2 / d i s t r i b u t o r - b i t s . j p g [ / I M G ]

but without all those spaces (included to stop it appearing as a pic).

Last edited:

hmm, i've posted pictures in other forums, but why did it give me an option to upload from my hard drive? i figured that fiatforum would host the pics. if not, then i guess i'll have to wait a couple days to get my site hosted online...

thanks,
serge

How about a 3litre V6? Should increase the acceleration somewhat.

DSCK0009.JPG

It never ceases to amaze me what can be done to a small 3 door hatchback.

Picture courtesy of http://www.y10turbo.co.uk/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=42&TopicID=348&PagePosition=1

Nice.

In addition to the large engine, it also has a nice roll cage, and proper seats.

The Panda isn't especially strong:
you aught to think again about fitting things like that...

Yeah i try to run it alitle like that!
doing some Offroad rally is the most fun u can have whit your Panda!

Back