UK petrol / diesel 2nd cheapest in Europe...

Currently reading:
UK petrol / diesel 2nd cheapest in Europe...

Wow, people here bitch about the cost of petrol, I filled up at A$1.38 the other day, which works out to 87p of your Sterling currency.

a converted $/£ per litre price doesnt work on its own though
the entire cost of motoring/wages/cost of living comes into it and when i lived in Oz it was a dam sight cheaper than the UK ;)

The tale I heard a couple of years ago was that marine diesel was screwing the environment so they were to stop using that & start using 'our' diesel (for cars, lorries etc).
so, with the increase in road diesels and now a huge maritime market, the government can really cash in.
Marine diesel where used in ocean going ships is different from that we find on the forecourts, in fact a lot of large ships, often up to 100,000 tons use 2 stroke engines and a different kind of fuel oil.

The EC decided a couple of years ago that we shouldn't use "red diesel" in leisure boats and the Government managed to negotiate a deal whereby leisure boat owners could use proportion of red and a proportion of "white diesel" based on using the discounted stuff in generators. Quite why the EC should have a say in a domestic issue like this is beyond me. Different countries have different speed and weight limits as well as different levels of VAT, alcohol and tobacco Duty. Quite why we should have to give in to them on this is beyond me. Maybe it's the restriction on the use of this fuel that you are thinking of.

Last week I was in Italy and hired a GP Evo MJ, the diesel I used to fill it up cost me €1.45 per litre. That makes it around £1.30, but you have to take into account the exchange rate. To them it's probably the same(ish) price as last year, but if the rate was €1.50 to the £ last year then to us it's gone up a lot.

It was some sort of 'news item'. Something about the emissions from marine being more harmful than road diesel & difficult to cut back whereas they could do a few simple adaptions and use road diesel with similar exhaust setups to road vehicles.
The item was rounded off with the warning that the increased demand for road diesel would increase cost per litre by about 50% - and at the time, diesel was bubbling just under £1 /litre.

Back